7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 2:00 AM by Dan Jacobsen

Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output

Pixel_Rocket Level 1

I have a Photoshop project I am animating in After Effects. I have played with every combination of color management between the two programs but every time I export my final movie from After Effects the result is lighter and washed out compared to the original Photoshop elements used to create it. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What am I doing wrong?

a) you are rendering to H.264 and the notorious Gamma shift gets you

b) you have crooked monitor profiles

c) you have good monitor profiles, but are not using them for proof previewing in both programs

d) you are assigning anything other than sRGB profiles

e) any assortment of layer/ smart object blending trickery in Photoshop and ensuing color profile issues

f) OpernGL issues in both programs

g) any combination of the aforemntioned.

Take a pick. Anything beyond these generic guesses will require much more infoirmation on your part, including comparative screenshots/ rendered frames.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
            Pixel_Rocket Level 1

Ha, ha! I will pick a) Bob for 30 points.

a) you are rendering to H.264 and the notorious Gamma shift gets you

This sounds exactly like my problem.

I can export a frame from the project and it is fine. 100 percent match.

If I export a frame from the H.264 video. Whammy! The gamma is very different.

What are my options? Should I export this to another program and do the final render from there?

• 3. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can apply an inverse Gamma adjustment effect in your master comp as an adjustment layer or something liek that and kinda fake it. Just make sure to do this in 16bpc or 32bpc to prevent degradation. Everything else will get more complicated and will require anything from editing and re-saving the QT file to using alternate encoders. I recommend you do a generic web search on the matter. This troublesome topic has been discussed on every video forum for the last 10 years and will probably for the next 20... Plenty of tips and tricks out there.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
                Pixel_Rocket Level 1

I tried your first suggestion and got in the ballpark but not close enough.

Sounds like I will look into other encoders.

Does this problem exist if I import the AE project into Premiere and export my movie from there?

• 5. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
                  Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi there,

Do you really need to save the space? I wouldn't use H264 except on a final product that didn't have to be perfect. for an email for example.

I use Animation codec on a Quicktime .mov file. This is lossless compression so saves a bit of space but doesn't degrade or change gamma.

• 6. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
                    Jerry Witt Level 2

I am having the same issue. In the cases of digital signage or digital magazines it is going to be increasingly important to be able to match-cut from the last frame of a compressed h264 video to an uncomprssed PNG or lightly compressed JPEG. I do see many threads about this topic and many techniques. But none of them proclaim 100% success. (Well a few do and then all comments say it doesn't work.)

I am using an all Adobe 16-bit workflow: Images created in Photoshop, animated in After Effects to an uncompressed codec and then encoded using Adobe Media Encoder to create an h264 video (for Internet delivery). The resulting video does not match cut with a PNG. The black level of the video is a little washed out.

• 7. Re: Matching color round trip from Photoshp to After Effects Output
                      Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi there,

If you can't keep it lossless, could you get an image of the origianl and what you deliver? comparing the 2 in AE will show you the difference on a vector scope. Then use curves to give you an effect to put on your deliverables so they match.

Is it the YUV vs RGB gamma difference by any chance?