9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 7:41 AM by Jim_Simon

How do you mark a clip

Daxman1965 Level 1

Hi everyone,

If I am not mistaken in CS5.5 you could select a clip and then add a clip marker and then add another to a soun clip and then synchronize. In CS6 if I add a clip marker via Marker>mark clip or shift+/ it does the same as mark selection. I want to mark the clip not the time line.

any ideas

thanks

Darren

• 1. Re: How do you mark a clip
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, Adobe messed this one up in CS6.

You set Clip Markers only in the Source Monitor.  Or, you have to go into the Keyboard Shortcuts and manually set one for adding a clip marker in the timeline.

• 2. Re: How do you mark a clip
            Daxman1965 Level 1

Thanks Jim

• 3. Re: How do you mark a clip
              thanmartin Level 1

Jim

yes you can set it in the source monitor, but I could not find or create a shortcut for adding a clipmarker, for clipmarkers do not exist anymore. There are only 3 types or markers: timeline markers, encore and flash. And there are a lot of bugs with markers as well.

Nested sequence>> your markers are useless.

H264 Bluray does not export encore chapter markers for encore.

export as dv avi, now your markers are finally there. But import this clip, though you have your markers, then shift this clip in the timeline and go to the marker tab and click on one of the clipmarkers, then you will be surprised to find your self not at the clipmarker but at the time of the clipmarker in the timeline. And so on...

Good job, screwing up one of the essential video editing tools for synchronisation and workflow! Can only hope that there will be an update with fixes!

Martin

• 4. Re: How do you mark a clip
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The keyboard shortcut for Clip Markers can be found in the Keyboard Shortcuts under Panels>Timeline Panel>Add Clip Marker...

If you enter something in the Name field of the Chapter markers, they carry over fine for me using H.264 Blu-ray.

I agree that removing the timeline navigation of nested clip markers makes things harder.  I don't understand why that functionality would be removed.

To put things aright, be sure to file your report.  The more that do, the better the chance of Adobe correcting their error.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do you mark a clip
                  thanmartin Level 1

Jim,

thanks to you  I could create the shortcut, its the last item in the list if you search for markers.

>> I will try it out with naming my markers and lets see

Yes of course filed bug report. Yesterday 3 bugs with markers and 1 bug that encore does not burn Bluray disk if your project size is >= 24 GB. You have to create bluray disk image and burn it with nero, then it works.

Interesting. I had a project of 24.8 GB, but encore tells me not enough space on the disk. Then create disk image with encore and look at its size, about 23,800 MB. I checked the space on the disk with Nero. It tells me 23,866 MB free disk space. So I could burn it with Nero easily but for Encore the space on the disk is not enough.

So many bugs ...

Thanks Martin

• 6. Re: How do you mark a clip
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

In Encore, one thing to check, when one encounters a problem with not enough disk space, when there should be, is whether the user has accidentally added any ROM Content. Check that out, as it has tripped up many Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do you mark a clip
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

1 bug that encore does not burn Bluray disk if your project size is >= 24 GB.

That's better taken up with a new thread in the Encore forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/encore/encore_general?view=discussions&start=0

• 8. Re: How do you mark a clip
                        thanmartin Level 1

Jim

thanks took up a new thread.

today I tried it out, once you name your markers in PP CS6 and you import them into Encore CS6 finally they show up.

So thanks to all of you.

However you import the H264 Blu Ray files back into PP, then there are no markers!! It seems as long as the video and audio is one file PP imports the markers, but if they are two separate files, you won't get the markers in PP. So far I get my markers in PP with Avi and MP4 files. (others I don't use)

have a nice day

Martin

• 9. Re: How do you mark a clip
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

However you import the H264 Blu Ray files back into PP, then there are no markers!!

Well...you really shouldn't be doing that anyway.