4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 5:07 AM by Peter Spier

Creating style with numbered list AND bullets

kellyjaye1 Level 1

I know how to create a style using a numbered list.  But what about if some of those in the list have bullets within them?  I figured I could create a separate style for those but then when it goes back into the numbered ones after the bulleted one, the number goes back to 1.  So im guessing there is a way to format the bulleted items within each numbered item?  Hope this isnt too confusing!!

• 1. Re: Creating style with numbered list AND bullets
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't do a lot of work with lists, but you are correct in your original presumption that you would need a separate style for the bullets. I'm not seeing a numbering reset after an intervening bultet, so my guess would be that you have set up the numbered list to restart in some way, so you should check your numbered list settings carefully. Have you set it up to restart after an ordinary non-numbered paragraph intervenes?

• 2. Re: Creating style with numbered list AND bullets
            kellyjaye1 Level 1

Actually that was something I realized after I posted the previous message. When I used numbered items later in the same document, the numbers continued, they did start back at 1. I looked at the settings but couldn't figure out how to make them reset. Still researching...

• 3. Re: Creating style with numbered list AND bullets
              Kurrykid Level 3

KellyJaye1,

Try looking under the Flyout Icon that is at the very far right of InDesign (it looks like 3 lines with a drop down arrow on the left). If you click on it, it has an option for Bullets and Numbering...You may be able to change your options there.

HTH

• 4. Re: Creating style with numbered list AND bullets
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I may not have this exactly right (remember, I don't normally do lists), but If I recall correctly, you set the list to be level 2, not level 1, and make your body text also part of the list, but as level 1, and with no number showing, and set to start at 0, then set the level 2 to reset after any higher level.

I'm sure there are more details you need to work out, or you can search here for numbering and responses from Peter Gold, as I think he's explained it in detail a few times.