2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 7:45 PM by Amy Blankenship

How to Copy/Paste Symbols containing Flash Components without creating copies of the Assets

Amy Blankenship Level 4

I think the fl.controls components can be useful if you want to do things the way they are built. However, I'm running into a serious usability issue whenever I need to have slightly different "versions" of a symbol that contains the same component.

For example, I have a question view that has 9 rows of Radio Buttons in it (each row is inside a symbol that manages the state of the Radio Buttons). The Question View symbol would be in the Library in Question Templates>QuestionType>ThisTypeOfQuestionView. For my demo, I want a version of that that has only 6 rows of Radio Buttons. So I copy my Question View Symbol to Instructions>QuestionType.

This has added a folder called QuestionTemplates>QuestionType with my ThisTypeOfQuestionView in it, along with a new copy of the RadioButtonRowSymbol and folders that are copies of the Component Assets needed for RadioButton (and guaranteed not to work, since you can only have only one asset with the same linkage id).  I rename my Question View to DemoThisTypeOfQuestionView and move it into the root of Instructions>QuestionType. Fixing the copy of RadioButtonRowSymbol is easy--I just drop the copy of QuestionTemplates back on QuestionTemplates.

But the repair process for all the extra component assets involves opening every folder in the nonfunctional Component Assets copy to its lowest level and dropping the contents onto the appropriate "real" component assets folder and selecting "replace" each time. This is tedious and fraught with error.

Is there a setting somewhere I can select that leaves pointers to assets in copied symbols pointing to the same place, while still keeping base class definitions in place?