6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 12:01 PM by SebastiaoV

Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space

SebastiaoV Level 1

Hi guys,

Is there any way to have both aligned bottom margins and a better Heading/Paragraph separation? Here are the samples

1) Nice aligned bottom margins but heading too close to paragraph

http://tinyurl.com/75bkhek

2) Nice heading / paragraph separation but very odds looking bottom margins

http://tinyurl.com/6wry7ps

I think this is a very common thing when text is fitting on a text grid...but i have seen annual report and other samples that solves the issue. How?

Cheers,

• 1. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Set up  your heading style with a combination of space after and leading that is equal to a multiple of the leading used in the body text.

• 2. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space
            SebastiaoV Level 1

thanks for the fast reply Peter. Do you mean that if my leading is 12 pt look for a multiple numbers like 3 pt? that could be intersesting...

• 3. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space

Not quite. If the leading inthe body text is 12 points, then the leading, plus any additional paragraph spacing,  for the headings mus equl x times 12, where x is a whole number. Acceptasble values would become 12, 24, 36... points.

• 4. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space
                SebastiaoV Level 1

good info! sorry i am not sure if i quite follow the idea. If i just want a small separation between the heading and text, but larger than the 12 pt body text regular if i use 24 points wouldn't that leave a huge gap?

• 5. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space

Let's look at your second example that you linked above. In the left column the text above the heading, and the heading itself, appear to all be on the 12pt baseline grid, but the text following looks like it has some "space after" added to the paragraph style, perhaps 6 pt or half a line. You've made space before the heading by adding a blank line (empty paragraph).

If you want to maintain the baseline grid for the body text, you have two options. Either set Align to Grid as part of the style for at least the first body paragraph after a heading, or maintain the leading throughout all the paragraphs as some full multiple of the grid spacing. Another way to look at that is that your headings have to float in a gap that is equal to some multiple of the grid spacing, two, three or perhaps four lines. If you want half a line after the heading, you must find a way to add another half a line so the total is an even multiple. one way to do that is to increase the leading applied to the heading to push it down and leave more space above. Another is to add space before, and a third is to add space after the paragraph before the heading.

The big problem is what happens when the heading is at the very top of a column. If you use one of the paragraph spacing options, the extra space is ignored by ID and disappears at the top of the column. If you add to the leading value, you must set your text frame options for first baseline to "leading" or the extra space is also lost at the top, and in any scenario where the heading falls at the top and space is lost at the top of the column your body text is not going to align with grid in that column. If you set the first baseline to leading, you get the spacing you want, but now there is empty space at the top of the column that you probably don't want.

What this all comes down to is you cannot have your cake and eat it, too. To keep the body text on grid,  set the align to grid property, and accept that the gap will be larger between the headings and body text when the heading is a the top of a column or when the heading runs more than one line, OR set the first baseline property for your text frames to leading and make sure the leading assigned to your headings is equal to a full multple of the leading assigned to body text AND set the space after equal to the leading value for body text (and any space before is also set to a full multiple of the body text leading).

First baseline set to leading and body set to align to grid:

Align to Grid with big headings and ATG.png

First baseline set to leading, all text using the same leading multiple (i.e, the leading for the heading is two times the leading of the body text):

Align to Grid with big headings.png

First baseline set to leading (could also be set to ascent), all text uses the same size type and leading:

Align to Grid with small headings.png

In all of the examples above I have added to the heading style space after equal to the leading of the body text and space before equal to twice that.

• 6. Re: Aligned Margins and Paragraph Space
                    SebastiaoV Level 1

Oops i didn't receive email info on that very good reply! that is very interesting...