11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 2:42 PM by SteveC100

Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

SteveC100 Level 1

I am exporting a 20 chapter book to Epub. Using InDesign CS 5.5. And I'm having a lot of trouble getting ID to use my existing CSS file. All paragraphs use styles and all styles are tagged for export ("automatic" with a css name from the CSS file). In the export dialog, I point to that file and choose CSS Options > Use Existing CSS File.

This works fine on the individual chapters. They use the CSS styles I've created and everything looks good. But when I export the whole book -- no dice. Each chapter gets numbered style names ("-1", "-2", "-3", etc.) and each chapter uses a unique set of numbered style names. There appears to be no connection between one chapter and another in terms of style names, even though all chapters have been synchronized and all share the same export tagging.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a very bad bug? Many thanks to anybody who has any ideas.

Steve

• 1. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Automatic? You should be using real tags…p, h1, h2, li, etc.

Otherwise with a book, yeah, that does seem to be the behavior.

Bob

• 2. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
            SteveC100 Level 1

ID makes everything a <p> anyway. I'm not exporting to html -- to epub. No use for h1, h2, etc. It's all done with the CSS.

The point is that all that export tagging is absent in the epub. It works fine if you go chapter by chapter, but then all cross references break. ''

If this is really how it works, then how do people create epubs of multi-chapter books? I can't be the first person encountering this. I will have to go through every chapter and change all the tags by hand. That's crazy!

Steve

• 3. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

EPUB is HTML and you should most certainly be using proper tags. By doing so, you’ll avoid this mess.

Bob

• 4. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
                SteveC100 Level 1

Bob,

Why does my procedure work fine when exporting single chapters?

Here's what I'm talking about. When I export an individual chapter, every paragraph looks something like this:

<p class="Body-Text">The Project window ...

But in the epub that contains the whole book, the same paragraph looks like this:

<p class="-12">The Project window ...

"-12" doesn't mean anything. That's the problem. And each chapter is different. Each chapter uses a different numbered style for what should be the same export tag.

Make sense?

Steve

• 5. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

I know what you’re talking about and I’m familiar with the issue. I don’t know of any way to fix it except combining all docs into one or doing it the correct way and mapping those styles to real tags.

Absolutely nothing should be set to automatic.

Bob

• 6. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
                    SteveC100 Level 1

I stand corrected. Just to be sure, I fixed a couple of chapters, turning everything into a <p> manually, rather than letting ID do it. And this seems to have worked. Now all the chapters I synced are using the common style sheet. I realize you predicted this, so my hat is off to you, but how would a normal mortal ever have predicted this behavior? ID is creating <p> tags just fine by itself. Forcing it to do so works to force ID to use your export tags? Doesn't make much sense to me...

Thanks for the help, though!

S

• 7. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

Because this isn’t something you just do…it’s something you have to learn about.

There are plenty of others that have suffered far more painful experiences so just be thankful it wasn’t worse.

Bob

• 8. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

BTW, not everything should be a p tag. You should most certainly be using h1, h2, etc and especially li tags.

Bob

• 9. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
                          SteveC100 Level 1

Bob,

I really appreciate all the help you've given me over the years. But I have done a LOT of studying up for this. And it sure wasn't something I just did -- not at any point. This is my second time doing it (third edition of the book). The first time took three weeks of hand editing every single chapter file using GREP to find everything and unify the styles. I thought I would go crazy. This time it has only taken a week. So far.

Just telling ID to convert each  grouped image took a whole day -- it would be nice if you could make that part of an object style! And there's a bug, which makes individual photoshop files convert incorrectly. You have to group them to a blank text frame or they get scaled incorrectly.

But this book thing caught me by surprise. Keep in mind that you can leave ID export tagging set to export "automatic" for individual chapters, as long as you specify a CSS tag name. Which I have done, in every case. It's only when you export that whole book that you have to specify <p> tags. That seems like a bug to me.

Steve

• 10. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?

I’m just answering the questions here to the best of my ability and giving the best advice I can.

What you do with that is up to you.

Bob

• 11. Re: Export Book to Epub -- Bugs?
                              SteveC100 Level 1

Thanks, Bob. My frustration is not with you -- it's with Adobe.

You saved me a lot of time and I very much appreciate it.

Steve