3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 7:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Easiest way to create 6-way split screen?

PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

I would like to create a video containing 6 video tracks that are all displayed in a 3x2 grid (3 along the top and 3 along the bottom).  I was able to use position and crop to get the split-screen I wanted by cropping the left and right by 16.7% each and modifying the position settings (see the attached graphic), BUT, if I tried to zoom and/or pan one of the images it seemed to mess everything up. 

By my math, I need to make each video 640x540 (640x3 = 1920, and 540x2 = 1080).  I think it would be GREAT if I could create 6 individual videos that were each 640x540.  Then I could pan and zoom however I wanted, then past the 6 final videos together.  I did not see anyway to do that (the options I wanted to customize were grayed out).  I was able to copy a settings file to create a project that was 640x540 but it didn't help because the share function converts it to something else.

What is the easiest way to create a 6-way split screen from 6 videos?  Is there a way to share a video as a custom sized 640x540 video?

Thanks!!

Cat2 3x2 video.jpg

• 1. Re: Easiest way to create 6-way split screen?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you won't be able to pan and zoom around each individual frame. You'd need a program with embedded timelines to do that.

But doing the Brady Bunch effect isn't all that hard.

You just put each video on a separate video track, one above the other, scale each you've indicated and position each in its own area of the video frame.

One thing to consider though: Every TV has some cut-off around th edges. Up to 10-15%. So remember that there's a chance that anything you put too close to the edge of your video frame will be cut off when your video is shown on a TV.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Easiest way to create 6-way split screen?
            PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

Ok...  I finished my 3x2 grid of videos.  To do this, I used a green screen / chroma keys, track mattes and image mattes, lightning and earthquake in addition to scale, motion and crop.  If I wanted to pan & zoom inside a window, I made a separate video first.  I have about 25 tracks and my laptop handled it pretty well. I've probably advanced from a Newbie to a (lower?) Intermediate user.  If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  There are others MUCH more advanced than me, but I learned a lot about what I did specifically that may help someone. 

Here it is:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTaxdXGV0Y

• 3. Re: Easiest way to create 6-way split screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nicely done, and thank you for sharing.

The only two things that I saw, that I might change would be with a couple of quick Cuts at about 00;00;30;00 mark. If we assign numbers to your 3 x 2 matrix, starting from the upper-left as # 1, these happen in "box" #5 & #6. As the pace of the entire Video matches the music nicely, those quick Cuts seemed a little bit disarming, at least to me.

Also, after the first introduction of the lightening in box #6, I might have altered its Opacity down, for the subsequent uses of it. I found that I wanted to be viewing the other boxes, but when that lightening came back, my eye was drawn a bit too much to it. Now, I must admit that I am quite a bit older, so did not grow up with on-line media, often surrounded by actively animated material, as one might encounter on many Web pages, so a lot of bright activity, at the edge of my vision, is not "natural" for me. Younger viewers HAVE grown up with that peripheral activity, almost everywhere, from Web pages, to too many TV programs. You can quickly discount this as just an observation of an older guy.

I really like the instances, where you extended your image to appear in multiple boxes. Well-done!

For others, who might want to do the same, or similar, it would be great if you could jot down your exact workflow, to help them, and especially as you have such a nice finished product. I think that others will want to learn from your Project.

Good luck, and again, thank you for sharing your Project with us - appreciated, and very nice.

Hunt