If you are able to install software on your own PC, you can try using a small freeware utility called PureText.
Even though PureText exists, I'd strongly recommend you file a bug with Adobe to advise you dislike the existing behavior.
Helpful and Handy Links
Thanks for the tip Rick.
Actually, I found what the issue is regarding the text formatting problem that motivated me for this posting, and it turns out not it’s so much of a RH bug but a workflow gaffe done by myself (unfortunately).
Evidently, I imported an html topic file from an output folder of another RH project into the help project I am currently working on. A RH output html file contains unique Java scripting that is used to render the topic properly in a browser, but that same Java Script causes havoc when you open it up in as a source file in another RH Project. On top of that, I copied and pasted content from my “infected” topic to many other topics in my project, and as a result, it has caused numerous weird things when I went to publish and view my files (but, surprisingly, you don’t really see them in the RH Design WYSIWYG view). The havoc it creates is manifold, but one of the symptoms I found was that it imposes spurious class tags on top of the normal style sheets you apply to text, which messes up the rendering in your output.
My thanks to an earlier posting on this same subject http://forums.adobe.com/message/4372655#4372655