2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 2:12 PM by Daniel Flavin

My lament - 36 emails for a BCD

Daniel Flavin Level 4

Am I the only one?

Actually, it has amounted to two unique versions. This is a 10 year customer, not new design work. I'd ballpark their monthly cash flow somewhere between $5 to $10 million, in this metro area alone.

The cards are currently produced, offset, with each card in the box having a collated flood printed 2 color backer. Green, blue, red, green, blue, red, green, blue red, etc.

Time for a proof for 6 more agents. If I don't take a moment for a deep breath, I'm going to supply a 1000 page proof with the front, back color version 1, front, back color version 2, front, back color version 3, repeated 180 times...

Those 6 letterhead emails in the middle reflect their request for a letterhead their agent could type on, digital only; meaning I'll never sell paper or printing relating to it. I created a fillable pdf complete with their logo, adress, agent name, title & defaulted the brand font. The reply after my proof work and cost for a digital form (of a proof limited to ten characters) was "Nothing for additional $$".

End rant

BCD email exchange.jpg

• 1. Re: My lament - 36 emails for a BCD
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Daniel, your rant is all over the place and I am not sure what part you are upset (if you are upset at all)

Is it that you have 36 emails... just for business cards?

Is it that you created a digital form letterhead... and you aren't getting paid for this?

Is it a ridiculous waste to have multi-color backers for business cards?

Is it the idea that a customer (who spends a lot of money) is demanding with high expectations?

Is it none of the above?

• 2. Re: My lament - 36 emails for a BCD
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

Jeffrey_Smith wrote:

Daniel, your rant is all over the place and I am not sure what part you are upset (if you are upset at all)

Mostly just tired

Is it that you have 36 emails... just for business cards?

You should see how they come in, the client writes a reply, fires it off, ponders and rviews a little more, fires off another reply, repeat several times

Capture.JPG

Is it that you created a digital form letterhead... and you aren't getting paid for this?

They asked for something, as a small printer, I do not delve into much; product that is not tangible but rather the current defacto; digital only.  Before being able to give an informative reply, I had to verify or decide what I could provide other than a Word document with their logo. 60-90 minutes hence, a Hi-Quality fillable pdf which would be able to present them in a professional manner. I tossed out a price.

Is it the idea that a customer (who spends a lot of money) is demanding with high expectations?

My billing to them is probably 20% of what it was a few years back. Not so much high expectations, but the limited profit left in producing little more than business cards.