5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 5:06 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Talk with customer support in my language?

Lars Olson Level 1

It seems nearly impossible to speak with somebody at Adobe in the primary language of the country I live in. That country is the United States of America.

Does anybody know of a way to speak to an Adobe rep that is located on this continent that can answer this question:

Will your creative suite be receiving an upgrade to make it display properly on the new retina MacBooks?

Does anybody have an actual official response to this?

It's a big question that a lot of people are asking and nobody seems to know with any certainty. Pretty weak service for a company trying to sell subscriptions...

• 1. Re: Talk with customer support in my language?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

msdarkroom wrote:

Will your creative suite be receiving an upgrade to make it display properly on the new retina MacBooks?

Does anybody have an actual official response to this?

It's a big question that a lot of people are asking and nobody seems to know with any certainty. Pretty weak service for a company trying to sell subscriptions...

Adobe is unlikely provide any definitive statements on future plans for their products.

They never have in the past but transparency is improving with initiatives such as the Adobe Labs.

This is one of the reasons that many Adobe employees blog and give sneak peeks of what is underway in the Adobe labs.

John Nack is one such source of reliable sneak peeks

e.g. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/06/photoshop-cs6-retina-display-support.html

• 2. Re: Talk with customer support in my language?
            Lars Olson Level 1

Adobe had no problem telling people they were updating Lr to support the Canon 5DM3 prior to the update. Why is the MacBook Pro with a retina display different?

I hate to have to use Aperture. I would also like to pay money to Adobe every single month for the Creative Cloud but I am not going to do so if I don't know for a fact that they will be supporting the hardware I will be working with.

• 3. Re: Talk with customer support in my language?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm no Adobe apologist but I don't think it's worth wasting energy trying to demand answers that don't exist.

Given the online evidence, I think the answer to your specific question is plainly yes. Other than that, there's no more info. Adobe will tell us more when they're ready.

The Adobe blogs are there if you want a post a question via a comment in them.

• 4. Re: Talk with customer support in my language?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As John Weller points out, Adobe has been making more "announcements, a bit ahead of releases. Those releases might take many forms, for the mentioned blogs, to Adobe employees making mention of them in the forums.

However, ultimately, the info released is what Adobe wants released, when they feel comfortable releasing it.

It could be that development on ___ has progressed to the point, that an Adobe employee gets tasked with making an announcement. At the same time, development on something else, might not be far enough to mention it. The changes/fixes/whatevers, might be released together, but until Adobe is 100% certain that they have things locked down, they are loath to make any mention of it.

I cannot say that I blame them. All too often, they feel comfortable "leaking" that an update will come out in the ___ quarter of ___, and the moment that we get near that gate, the villagers are at the gates, like in the movie Frankenstein (the original), with torches and pitchforks, screaming for that update immediately. Let's say that developers and tester find something got broken, while fixing something else, and the release will be near the end of that quarter, and not the beginning. Well, there is heck to pay.

One thing that you might do is read on ProDesignTools, as they seem to get little "tid-bits" well before almost anyone, outside of Adobe. Not sure how they do it, but they are seldom wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Talk with customer support in my language?
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Getting back to Customer Support, it does seem to be a bit of a lottery. My two experiences with are split equally between a complete disaster with long pauses at the end of which, the person at the other end repeatedly misunderstood my plain English query,  and the second time that could not have been handled better.  Both times, the person at the other end had an Asian (probably Indian) name.  I have no idea if the Help center is offshore, but I’m guessing that it is, and that the person at the other end is using an expert system to answer your questions.

Hopefully there will be no announcements concerning Retina Display support at the next Adobe Max, because that would mean we’d have to wait for CS8 before we saw it.