4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 8:04 PM by needles27

Overriding automatic replacing of AE projects with incremental file names in Dynamic Link (CS5.5)

SquallMan

Hi everyone,

I've been searching all corners of the internet for an answer to this question including this forum and the Adobe help documents, so I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.

First off, we're using Premiere Pro CS5.5. We have recently switched from a FCP6 to a Premiere workflow and we're really enjoying the Adobe Dynamic Link feature. Unfortunately, we've discovered a bit of a problem with our workflow.

All our AE projects are named something like "heb_alef_01.aep", "heb_alef_02.aep", "kor_hhh_01.aep", "kor_hhh_02.aep". These don't correspond to different versions of the same videos, but rather ...01.aep is video #1 and ...02.aep is video #2.

You can probably see how this causes a problem when it runs into Premiere's feature of automatically updating project files if it finds an exact filename match in that directory with a higher number at the end. If I try to import "kor_hhh_01.aep" it will instead give me "kor_hhh_02.aep", for example.

I noticed that in CS6, a checkbox has been added to the Preferences pane which will prevent this from automatically happening, but I wanted to know if any options exist for Premiere CS5.5 users. If necessary we can adjust our file naming structure, but I really didn't want to deal with the far-reaching implications of that if possible.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.