11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 12:18 PM by bevin602

Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .

bevin602

Hello there,

looking for workflow solutions.  switching from FCP 7 - Premiere CS6. 

• Editing 2 canon 5D cameras.  (1920 x 1080 23.976)
      • Audio recorded on Zoom. 
      • Sync with Plural Eyes
      • Final output Web HD / ipad

Found that I need to export new master clips with audio and video synced for multi-cam to work seamlessly in Premiere CS6 (and also for preservation purposes).  What should my export settings in the Media Encoder be for my new masterclips?  When I select .H264 it defaults to the Android tablet setting and produces poor quality renders (pixelated and banding) and if I select use sequence settings, I get an mpeg codec that my computer does not recognize.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.  Many thanks! 

• 1. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
          Keith Moreau Level 1

I'm not on Premiere Pro 6 but did you have a workflow for Premiere Pro 5.5? I do multicam all the time along with Pluraleyes for premiere pro and I don't know what you mean about needing to export master clips and also the quality will suffer if you do. The beauty of Premiere pro is not needing to transcode before using it and the 'native' workflow.

In PPro 5.5, I import the 5D footage right into PPro, along with dual sound audio, then export that into a FCP XML file from PPro. Then I open that XML file with Pluraleyes and it generates a FCP XML sequence with all the clips arranged. I then import that into PPro and a sync'd sequence is there with the clips moved around. I then drag that sequence into another sequence and set it to be a multiclip. Maybe PPro 6 is different but I assume something similar would work.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
            bevin602 Level 1

thank you for your response.  yes, that is how plural eyes works in CS6.  i'm, however, looking for guidance with what export setting to make new master clips with once plural eyes has synced the video and audio.    i've experienced some timecode slipping in multicam if i do not make new master clips.  and also the client wants the raw footage with good audio.  thanks again.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
              Keith Moreau Level 1

Now I'm intrigued. Did you ever do this with Premiere pro CS 5.5 and experience the slipping? I have on occasion experienced some slipping with very long spanned clips in 5.5 but this is understandable.

Anyway, if I wanted to export a new clip at the best quality I could, I would use Prores 422 HQ. I often do that in some projects if I'm using a lot of effects on a particular clip because Premiere Pro will just bog down. So in the sequence I set the in and out points for the work area, then just export that section as Prores 422 HQ highest render quality. Then I import that .mov and place it above the clip in the sequence and then deactivate the original clip so it doesn't get bogged down. Later if I wanted to, I could deactivate the .mov and reactivate the original to get the best quality but this type of transcode to prores is not really noticable. This is on a Mac with the prores codecs installed. If I was on a PC, I have heard good things about Cineform and DNXHD files. I would not use a long GOP codec such as any of the mpeg or H.264 flavors but if you have to use H.264 I'd use one for blu ray with a very high bitrate. I have a custom H.264 one that I use for uploads to Vimeo and Youtube that is  VBR from 14-40 mbs and this results in really good results when Youtube and Vimeo do their web-ready conversions.

The slipping, however seems strange and might be a bug in CS6.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                Jim_Simon Level 8

What should my export settings in the Media Encoder be for my new masterclips?

Something lossless so that quality will not diminish.  UT is a free, lossless codec that you can install and it plays nice with PP.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                  Keith Moreau Level 1

Hi Jim, do you know if UT is on Mac OS as well and do you think it compares to Prores?

• 6. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                    bevin602 Level 1

I was hoping that ProRes wasn't the export option bc i might as well go back to FCP then.  As for the slipping in PPro CS6, i had a sequence that went haywire with slipping and getting confused with clips and lost a lot of time.  one other reason i like to have the audio and video married as masterclips is that when editing, often i will have just audio with b-roll video and then later on decide that i want the actual video with the audio, if they are married master clips, i can simply match frame the audio.  thank you everyone for your suggestions.  much appreciated.

and yes, i am on a mac. 

• 7. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

UT is available for Macs as of version 11.  UT is a lossless codec, ProRes is not.

• 8. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                        Keith Moreau Level 1

Got it, so its similar to the Apple Animation Codec in that way. However being lossless, I would imagine the file sizes are pretty big, what's the mb/second on it?

• 9. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

There is no fixed bitrate, it uses what it needs to encode the frame without error.

Coming from your source I'd recommend the YUV420 mode, though.  It will be a smaller file than full RGB.

• 10. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                            josephs51576386 Level 3

If you want files that are small but still "visually lossless" but you don't want to use ProRes then just use DNxHD it's free and works on multiple platforms. Just like Jim mentioned UT  is a totally "lossless" codec. UT is also free just like DNxHD.

However here is what I feel the main differences are IMO.

DNxHD is usually smaller than UT however they are sometimes fairly close as far as data rate. Like Jim said UT does vary as far as data rate goes. But in some cases it's around 260Mbps-340Mbps when using 1080p footage. Although on a couple rare occaisions I have seen it go much higher. DNxHD as you know is 220Mbps at it's highest quality setting. But remember like Jim pointed out DNxHD is only "visually lossless" where as UT is totally lossless. So it really comes down to what matters most. If you prefer to save HD space use DNxHD if you want something that usually renders faster a bit faster (in my experince) and is actually lossless go with UT.

• 11. Re: Premiere CS6 / Canon 5D / Plural Eyes / Workflow .
                              bevin602 Level 1

thank you all!  this is so very helpful.  exactly what i was looking for.

now what are the best output settings for video on an ipad (in an app)???