2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 7:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Interlacing (Scan Lines?) During editing

fastkarate

I have a 1080P video recorded with an Hauppage capture device. It's 2 hours long, ~6 gigs. When I watch it in Windows Media Player it looks fine. When I try to edit it in Premiere there's crazy scanlines over anything that's moving. I'm not sure if this is a problem that can be fixed with sequence settings (I've tried them all) or something else, but I'd appreciate advice. I'd imagine it's a fairly common thing, and I feel like this issue has cropped up before using the Hauppage to record things >90 minutes. I've tried coverting the video using 3rd party software (Xilisoft Video Coverter), but then when I import it into Adobe it interprets it as 30 minutes longer than it is and everything is out of sync.

Please advise if you can! Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Interlacing (Scan Lines?) During editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This kind of stuff is not intended to be edited because of the extreme compression, but you can try a consumer application like WMM or Magix or try to get the original source material from the copyright owner. Normally 2 hours would take 25+ GB or a multitude of that with better codecs, and that is already heavily compressed.

• 2. Re: Interlacing (Scan Lines?) During editing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full-specs. of the files, produced by your capture card? This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and adds links to MediaInfo and G-Spot, two good, free utilities for gathering the files' specs.

With that info, someone might be able to suggest a conversion format, and conversion program to use, but Harm might well be correct, that a different NLE program, might be better - it just depends, and the information on the files will tell.

Good luck,

Hunt