5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 9:39 PM by cs666

Blending Modes

jamessk12 Level 1

Hi All,

I am creating a flyer in InDesign, I've got a logo to put at the bottom of the flyer, the logo is white with a black background, I've used the Screen blend mode to remove the black but I can now see a faint white space behind the logo... see attached image. I have Proof Colours, Overprint Preview & High Quality Display to show the neareat possible match to print.

I've tried Googling and reading up about the Blend modes, it says something about changing the option in Edit > Transparency Blend Space

I changed it to RGB and now the white space has gone but the article I found did not explain too much about what this means changing it and how it works when printing the finished artwork.

Can anyone give me advice on this?

Always appreciated

Regards

James

Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 14.44.31.jpg

• 1. Re: Blending Modes
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Assuming this is a raster image with sufficient resolution, I would open in Photoshop, invert to make a positive image, change mode to bitmap. Then place new logo into Indesign, and colorize as needed.

• 2. Re: Blending Modes
            jamessk12 Level 1

Hi Jeffrey,

bitmap mode seems to be greyed out, unselectable.

Do the blend modes in InDesign not work for print?

Regards

James

• 3. Re: Blending Modes
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Sounds like image is RGB, change to grayscale first then to bitmap. Note: you can leave image as a grayscale, this can be colorized in ID as well, if you don't need to knockout a background.

Blend modes can achieve close appoximations of desired effect, but as you can see with your example, did not work to make a perfect reverse logo.

• 4. Re: Blending Modes
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've tried Googling and reading up about the Blend modes, it says something about changing the option in Edit > Transparency Blend Space

When you use Screen for the blend mode your black background has to be absolute black for to be completely transparent. If you want to keep your Transparency Blend Space as CMYK and your logo is a CMYK object, the black background has to be absolute CMYK black (100|100|100|100 and not 0|0|0|100):

Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.34.06 PM.png

• 5. Re: Blending Modes
                  cs666 Level 1

Can client supply a vector logo?