4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2012 9:33 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 transition causes Blu-Ray to freeze

That Don Guy

I am using PE9 to combine video files from my camcorder and apply transitions, and then creating an MPEG file which is then used to create a Blu-Ray disc (using TMPGEnc Authoring Works to add menus and then create the BDMV and Certificate folders, then ImgBurn to actually burn the disc).  Most of the time, it works fine, but occasionally, when the Blu-Ray is played, it freezes at a certain poiint - and it is always at a point where there is a transition made in PE9.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem?  Yes, it could be something that Authoring Works is doing, but seeing as how it happens only at transitions, I assumed that PE9 had something to do with it.

• 1. Re: PE9 transition causes Blu-Ray to freeze
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not read of such an issue.

A couple of things to think about - what is the Bit-Rate for that HD MPEG file? Though BD allows much higher Bit-Rates, there are still limits.

What brand of blank media are you using? Often with high Bit-Rates, inferior brands cause hanging, stuttering, or various glitches?

What Transition are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 transition causes Blu-Ray to freeze
            That Don Guy Level 1

Whatever the problem is, it's not any particular transition in general - I burned a Blu-Ray (identical type and method) that switched between two images using all of the transitions, and it played fine.

It could be a problem with the disc/burner combination (Pioneer drive; Verbatim 6x discs, burned at 2x speed), as I seem to recall having similar problems when burning at faster than 2x; however, I burned the disc twice, and the error takes place on the same spot in the video both times, so I figure that a problem with the data is more likely.

I was able to modify the MPEG created by PE9 to use a different transition, and was able to burn a Blu-Ray that works.

The full process is: (a) create MPEGs with PE9, (b) create a disc layout and menu with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, and (c) burn the Blu-Ray using ImgBurn.

• 3. Re: PE9 transition causes Blu-Ray to freeze
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. Playback issues aren't software related. They're virtually always related to your media: Either a poor quality media burn (nearly always related to burn speed or use the poor quality discs, such as Memorex) or compatibility problems with your disc player.

• 4. Re: PE9 transition causes Blu-Ray to freeze
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Pioneer makes good burners. Verbatim is about the best brand of blank media, that you can get.

First two thoughts:

• Check the Pioneer Web site, to see if there is a newer firmware version, for your burner. If so, you FIRST step will be to read the instructions on installing that update, very, very carefully. Though I do this a lot, with my various burners, I always print out the instructions for THAT firmware update, and follow them to the letter. [Recently I had a firmware update for my LG, and the instructions had changed slightly, from the previous firmware update. Always check carefully, and do not deviate from the instructions.]
                • BD from PrE and burn speed can present issues. With DVD-Video, PrE can Burn to Folder, and then one can use the great free ImgBurn, to do the physical burn. It allows one to adjust the speed of the burn, and I always go below the max. PrE does not yet have Burn to Folder for BD. Maybe Steve has another suggestion, but all I can think of would be to buy slower Vertabim BD blanks and test.

Also, some glitches are player-centric, so testing one of your discs on a different BD player would be a good thing to try.

Good luck,

Hunt