4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2012 7:23 AM by torontoseo

AE crashes when I change compositions in a project

torontoseo

Hi, I’m having a problem in CS6 – I downloaded a template graphic and every time I open the project, it crashes when I try to change to another tab of the composition to view it. It is only this project that crashes, I have downloaded other templates from the same site with no problems. I've uninstalled and reinstalled AE, I've deleted the project and redownloaded it multiple times, and nothing seems to fix the problem. I contacted the uploader and they say that no one else has had this problem and that they're not sure what the problem could be since they created the project in cs5.

I am quite new to AE so any suggestions are met with open arms. Thanks in advance!

Some relevant info - Windows 7 64 bit, NVDIA GeForce GTX 460 ver 8.17.13, Intel i7 processor 3.4 ghz

• 1. Re: AE crashes when I change compositions in a project
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

We don't have anywhere near enough information to make a diagnosis. 

Answering the questions found here will fix that.

• 2. Re: AE crashes when I change compositions in a project
            torontoseo Level 1

Sorry, let me try again:

1. I installed AE yesterday so i guess the latest version?

2. I'm assuming Adobe Application Manager would've installed the latest updates with the installation

3. Windows 7 ver 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

4. I have no clue what the source footage is, i bought the project from videohive.net but its all graphics, nothing was shot with a camera.

5. I wish i was getting an error message, at least i would know what was going on. I get a message from windows that the program has stopped working and then I only have the option to close the program from that dialogue box.

6. It crashes when I try to click anything in the timeline, i.e clicking on a different composition tab, closing a composition tab, etc

7. I have bought projects from videohive before with absolutely no problems, this is the only project that has this problem.

8. I'm usually just working in AE with that as the only window open, but sometimes I have Chrome open as well.

9. no third party software or codecs

10. Intel core i7-2600k CPU @ 3.4 ghz, 8 gb RAM, 2 disk drives - 60 gb SSD and 500 gb not ssd, no external drives.

11. no third party i/o hardware

12. not using opengl

13. this problem happens pretty much on open, i can't do anything in the timeline as soon as i click on it the program crashes

14. Should i be using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously?

thanks again.

Message was edited by: torontoseo

• 3. Re: AE crashes when I change compositions in a project
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

torontoseo wrote:

14. Should i be using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously?

Personally, I wouldn't use it with anything less than 16 GB RAM installed.  If you have a lot of big stills  or great-big sized precomps in the project, AE will choke... which it seems to be doing.

Mind you, this doesn't rule out other miscues made when installing.  Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't make installing its applications very easy.  Frankly, it's tough to do: there are any, many combinations of processors, cards, memory etc. out there, so a one-size-fits-all easy install is extremely hard to pull off.  They do try.