14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 9:49 AM by Bill Gehrke

Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...

BanffJay

Hi all,

I want to replace my laptop.  I am fully aware the a desktop would give me more bang for buck but I move around a lot and a desktop wont really work for me.

I will be editing footage from a Canon T2i (H.264 .mov). 

I will be running Premier Pro CS 5.

Would be great if I could also run after effects without too many problems.

Looking around a lot I came across this deal:

IdeaPad Y580 20993AU

3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor( 2.30GHz 6MB)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64

NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080

500GB 7200 rpm

I want to replace the optical drive for a second 7200 HDD.

I know the 8Gb ram is a problem but in this model of laptop you cant upgrade.  Lenovo are currently selling this laptop for $1,021 which seems to be pretty damn good.

Q1. will  8Gb of ram cause a bottle neck, is it a waste of time to get a  2Gb video card with this?

Q2.  Will After effects work sufficently well?  If not will the addition of a third HDD via the laptops USB3 port help?

Q3. Will the NVIDIA graphics card be okay.  I notice that it is not listed in the supported graphics cards area as it only goes to teh NVIDA 580...

Q4. Am i missing anything in this setup?

• 1. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
          JFPhoton Level 3

.....I have an Asus G73jw and use 5.03 no problem........newer Asus Ivy Bridge with 16GB mem, NVidia m670 may be great....use  two plextor pro or Corsair pro SSDs

in hdd bays to scream!!!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
            BanffJay Level 1

Hi JFPhoton,

Thanks for the reply, was starting to get worried no one could see me

That certainly is a good laptop you have there.  Looks like it comes close to $3000 all up though, wich is a little out of my legue. 

Good to know you are able to run 5.03 with no dramas on a laptop though. 

• 3. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Take a look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) and on the tabs on top select the second tab "Compute type" and select the "Laptop" item and you will see that there are 57 laptop results submitted.  You should also filter by Premiere version on the "Version" tab because there are differences between versions

You should also be aware that there are much newer versions of many of these laptops which should help improving the scores

• 4. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                JFPhoton Level 3

....that ivy bridge model with 12GB and NVidiawwas on sale recently around 1700 us......newer "pro" model SSDs from plextor and Corsair kick *** on incompressable data.....in a laptop would give best performance......even Corsair force gts do well......256GB is $191......put two in and fly!!.....sell provided drives,or, keep one to shove in a cheap USB3 dock......just updated driver for fresco USB3 controller on my laptop and   it now flys!!!! Used to be limited to 105MB/SEC...NOW OVER 250!!

• 5. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                  JFPhoton Level 3

....I MEAN 16GB,not 12...

• 6. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                    JFPhoton Level 3

......saw MSI GT70 ONC ivy bridge at newegg.......several configurations.......17.3, 1920x1080, Nvidia670m, 3GB,12GB 1600 Mem..( would try to find 16GBversion), Blue-ray player, 2 HDD bays.....( this model had 1-750GB HDD) for $1,400 US.

I would try to find if poss. to order somewhere this,( or, similar Asus model), which comes with a full 16GB 1600 memory.....this amount is necessary for best laptop performance...esp. with After Effects. Next,in a laptop,( not so true with desktop).....quality SSDs should give best performance. Use provided 750 as media storage outside the laptop, ( plug in to a cheap USB 3 dock to load files for editing).....then you could switch the drives in the dock....put in an SSD!....then edit with up to 3 hi-speed SSds going at the same time,( using harm's recommended 3 drive setup),

Correct SSD choice is critical....newer Plextor M3Pro series an Corsair Performance Pro series have Marvell controllers that handle "incompressible data files"...( already compressed HD video files), extemely well....however, these drives are more expensive.

The Corsair Force 3 GT seems to do well, even though it is Sandforce controlled...( see Tweaktown reviews and Storage Review.com reviews of these drives). These newer SSds can write way faster than earlier models and are more reliable.

I did see some feedback where some MSI buyers claimed there is no correct Nvidia driver out yet for the 670m.....I do not know if this is true....would warrant investigating.

The negative side of all this is that although these laptops are cheaper than other well known  models.....many who do not have good luck and get a "lemon" unit, are reporting difficulty getting any customer support. I've been lucky with my Asus so far....but even it suffers from an occasional syndrome where the touchpad freezes. The only fix for that is to tear the machine apart!! ADK makes reliable laptops for PPro with full support,but, I do not know if they would be in a comparable price category to the cheaper machines with questionable support.....I was lucky with my gamble...

• 7. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                      JFPhoton Level 3

........something like this to consider on sale $1,798....http://http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580856& CatId=4938......then, add SSDs!!!......looks like it could really fly!

• 8. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...

Only problem that I can see on the Samsung is that apparently it is a single 1.5 TB drive and it is partitioned.  This is does not (from my limited research) meet Premiere's absolute minimum two drive configuration.  If you do not mind hanging external drives on it this does have otherwise great specs for a laptop with CS6

• 9. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is an article about NOT using a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708

• 10. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                            JFPhoton Level 3

......original contents of provided hdd can be shrunk onto an ssd with acronissoftware......then, put second ssd in machine. Hdd can become external drive in a cheap USB3 dock or enclosure

• 11. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                              Islanders66 Level 1

Intresting thread. I was researching these same laptops. I have a desktop for editing but also need a laptop just for basic stuff like internet and wordprocessing, as my desktop uses a lot of electricity and wear and tear. I couldn't justify the extra bulk of lugging an 8 pound laptop that could run PrPro. I also wasn't too thrilled about spending $1000 on a Macbook Air but all of the PC laptops I tried were awful, unusable trackpad, bulky, took forever to wake up out of sleep. The other ultra books were ok but too expensive for what they were. If I really needed one for editing I would probably try the Sager. At least a laptop for primary computer is an option.

• 12. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...

That Samsung does not have room for a second drive

• 13. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...
                                  BanffJay Level 1

Well, lots of information.  I have spent hours going over the new information posted.  Thanks for everyone who helped!

Take a look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) and on the tabs on top select the second tab "Compute type"

Thanks for that.  I had a look, with so many configurations it is hard to find specific patterns in what makes a good editing laptop.  It does seem  that the more you add on (more memory, faster processor) the better it will be.

........something like this to consider on sale $1,798....http://http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-detail s.asp?EdpNo=2580856&CatId=4938......then, add SSDs!!!......looks like it could really fly

Had a look for a couple of your suggetions JFPhoton.  Im north of the boarder (Canada) so they dont come up.  I have a feeling we pay more up here for hardware

I did see some feedback where some MSI buyers claimed there is no correct Nvidia driver out yet for the 670m.....I do not know if this is true....would warrant investigating.

Interesting thing.  I contacted ADK to ask them what video system they would bundle with one of their editing laptops.  The consultant suggested the NVIDIA 670.  I did point out that It was not listed as a suported graphics card.  To use this card I would need to perform a hack.  I get the impression that this is something that they do all the time.

I think I have chased my tail and come full circle.  For the price, the Lenovo laptop that I listed at the start of this thread seems like a good price/performance tradeoff.  Considering Im editing on an old Macbook  right now anything will seem faster

Maby a good post discussion would be  "can you get a decent editing laptop for under $1,500?"

• 14. Re: Editing Laptop opinions/advice/help...

BanffJay wrote:

Well, lots of information.  I have spent hours going over the new information posted.  Thanks for everyone who helped!

Take a look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) and on the tabs on top select the second tab "Compute type"

1..Thanks for that.  I had a look, with so many configurations it is hard to find specific patterns in what makes a good editing laptop.  It does seem  that the more you add on (more memory, faster processor) the better it will be.

........something like this to consider on sale $1,798....http://http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-detail s.asp?EdpNo=2580856&CatId=4938......then, add SSDs!!!......looks like it could really fly

Had a look for a couple of your suggetions JFPhoton.  Im north of the boarder (Canada) so they dont come up.  I have a feeling we pay more up here for hardware

Interesting thing.  I contacted ADK to ask them what video system they would bundle with one of their editing laptops.  The consultant suggested the NVIDIA 670.  I did point out that It was not listed as a suported graphics card.  To use this card I would need to perform a hack.  I get the impression that this is something that they do all the time.

I think I have chased my tail and come full circle.  For the price, the Lenovo laptop that I listed at the start of this thread seems like a good price/performance tradeoff.  Considering Im editing on an old Macbook  right now anything will seem faster

3..Maby a good post discussion would be  "can you get a decent editing laptop for under $1,500?"

1. That is correct
                                    2. Tigerdirect links do not work even if you remove the double "http://"
                                    3. Unfortunately, I doubt it you could get a current architecture real Premiere laptop for $1500 but for $2000--yes , time to start saving up.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Here is a MSI laptop that with today's pricing (after rebate) is $1500  Go to Tigerdirect .com and look for this model:  MSI GT70 0ND-202US 9S7-176212-202.  You have to double check but I believe that this has a second disk drive bay that you could simply add another hard drive.