3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 5:32 AM by JoeDaSilva

Newbie trying to create an Animated GIF

Level 7
      I'm a newbie working with FW-CS3 on a Vista environment.

I have two images (equal size) from which I want to create an animated gif,
      whereby they rotate intermittently in an endless loop (i.e. image A displays
      and then fades into image B, which after a while fades back to image A)

What is the easiest way to create this in FW-CS3? Is there any kind of a
      wizard (or tutorial) to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Newbie trying to create an Animated GIF
          Level 7
          ClueLess wrote:

> What is the easiest way to create this in FW-CS3? Is there any kind of a
          > wizard (or tutorial) to accomplish this?

It's better to do this kind of animation in Flash because the resulting
          file size will be much smaller. If you have to do it in Fireworks,
          then use the animation wizard to fade image one out in ten frames. Place
          copies of the second image on frames 5 through 10 so that it is fully
          revealed by the time image 1 finishes fading out. On frame 11, begin
          fading image two out, and on frame 5 of the second image fade, place a
          copy of the first image and repeat. It sounds complicated, but if you
          try it a couple of times, you'll get it.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Newbie trying to create an Animated GIF
            Level 7
            I realise that this Forum is not meant for Flash, but may I ask whether my
            project could be accomplished in Flash even if I knew diddly squat about
            Flash? I mean, is there some kind of a wizard where I could feed my two
            images and press a button (OK, two) and it would automatically generate the
            required file? Or is that wishful thinking?

"Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
            news:fsulgc$du4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > ClueLess wrote:
            >
            >> What is the easiest way to create this in FW-CS3? Is there any kind of a
            >> wizard (or tutorial) to accomplish this?
            >
            > It's better to do this kind of animation in Flash because the resulting
            > file size will be much smaller. If you have to do it in Fireworks, then
            > use the animation wizard to fade image one out in ten frames. Place copies
            > of the second image on frames 5 through 10 so that it is fully revealed by
            > the time image 1 finishes fading out. On frame 11, begin fading image two
            > out, and on frame 5 of the second image fade, place a copy of the first
            > image and repeat. It sounds complicated, but if you try it a couple of
            > times, you'll get it.

• 3. Re: Newbie trying to create an Animated GIF
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              It's not quite that simple but close. In flash you should set a point in your timeline for the graphic to appear (most likely at the beginning). You'd set another point in the future, say 10 seconds in, and tell flash you want the graphic transparent at the second point. You'd then tell flash to transition from point A to point B, which it would do automatically.

That's a pretty dumbed-down explanation of course, but that's the concept. It's nothing you could learn using an entry level tutorial ;-)