3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 5:29 PM by [Jongware]

How to create an ebook using InDesign?

Sylviee223 Level 1

I know how to lay out a book, I've done it before. But I feel like there maybe something special for ebooks. What size is needed? Do I put facing pages or single pages? It seems like single works, but with the ipad I have seen facing pages that people "flip" through. Does the text somehow flow differently through pages depending on your tablet and zoom level? I asked questions on another forum and someone answered with "not splitting text into explicit pages as e-readers are all different and people may have different zoom factors" ...how does one do that?

OR, is it as simple as creating a layout in InDesign and exporting a PDF? Because I can do that!

Background info: I found a job posting on a student website (I'm a student) to lay out an ebook for someone. Can I just create them an amazing pdf? Or am I in way over my head?

***EDIT: So I have just sorta found out what ePub means. According to wikipedia:

"EPUB is designed for reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for the particular display device used by the reader of the EPUB-formatted book, although EPUB now also supports fixed-layout content."

Which I think is my whole issue. So, if I create a layout and export it as an ePub, does it then become a proper ebook that fits peoples displays? Do I make a pdf then turn it into an ePub? I'm guessing my Indesign & Adobe come with an "ePub" button?

ANY info would be helpful. Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to create an ebook using InDesign?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Let’s back up here.

There are a ton of definitions for ebook. What did you have in mind for this one?

Kindle? PDF? DPS type of app?

That will give us a bit more to go on if you need help.

Bob

• 2. Re: How to create an ebook using InDesign?
            Sylviee223 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking time to read my question. Considering I found a job posting to create this ebook, I can't really say which kind they want. My guess is for it to fit all devices. Your question gives me the impression that I would need to create different ebooks to fit each format? I could ask what kind of device they would like their ebook to be in (if that's what your asking me) but my guess is that they would want the same ebook available on all tablets/phones/etc.

Sylvia

• 3. Re: How to create an ebook using InDesign?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The reason Bob has to ask is because 'ebook' is a pretty vague concept. It's an "electronic book", i.e., a text that can be read on an electronic device.

PDF is a *pretty* safe bet, because that will ensure all people have to do is make sure they can read a PDF on their e-device.

It's also non-reflowable, just like a regular PDF (not entirely true, by the way, but pretty much).

"E-Pub" is the common format for dedicated devices such as the Kindle and the Sony reader, and is what iBooks on iPhone and iPad use. This *is* a reflowable format, and (depending on the device and software) usually you can change the font size and type to taste.

DPS is Adobe's own version, and you can do lots of interesting things with it. It requires Adobe's own DPS reader. Search the Adobe web site for more information on this.

You can produce a PDF right away with InDesign (don't use "Press Quality" settings for obvious reasons). You can export to the common e-pub format as well, but in that case you'd better investigate a bit deeper than can be answered in this forum, because all you get in that case is a pretty basic layout. Using other software, you can edit and enhance ID's output -- you cannot create any e-pub right away with InDesign any way you like it, it's not "an epub editor".

For DPS, I suggest you first take a look at what's possible and then what it will cost you.