7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2012 3:00 PM by Craig2028

Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl

Craig2028

This is the first time I've tried to use the Adobe Forums. Geez, what a confusing mess.

In Premiere CS5, I'm trying to apply the Basic 3D Swirl to a text title. It seems to work up to about 40 degrees, then the program monitor goes black.

I'm using an iMac Core 2 Duo with 4GB. Everything else in Premiere works great. This is first time I've tried Basic 3d effect, so I'm not sure what it's suppose to be doing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

PS  If someone does have a response, I wonder where I find it on this forum?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You find responses in the same message thread (you started, so do not see the blue REPLY word on your own post... I do, and clicked Reply)

What brand and model graphics adapter do you have (such as ATI or nVidia or ???) and what driver version?

Visual problems are "often" caused by an out of date driver

In the Windows world where I live, drivers must be updated from the vendor site, since Windows Update is often 2-3 versions behind... I have NO idea how hardware driver updates work on a Mac

For instance, I have an nVidia GTX 285 with driver version 296.10

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Basic 3D Swirl

I'm confused.  Basic 3d is an effect.  Swirl is a transition.  Which are you using?

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
              Craig2028 Level 1

Thanks John, it will take me a bit to get use to how this forum is setup.

I have a "stock" iMac about 2 or 3 years old. It has a basic ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card. No recent changes, so should not be a driver update issue.  Since everything else has been working great in Pr, I suspect there's something I don't know about using Basic 3D effects.

Jim, thanks for catching that error. I meant to say Basic 3D Swivel (the video effect).

Craig

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, I notice a bit of strangeness on this one, too.  Though I lose it around -40 in the Distance parameter, not Swivel.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
                  Craig2028 Level 1

I haven't gotten as far as trying the Distance parameter, but it sounds like a similar problem. I noticed that someone had mentioned a max pixel limit with the effect. I tried making a small Title (480x480) and dropping it on a blank track. It didn't really work any better. I'm confused though, if this effect sends out one frame at a time to be processed, why would it be affected by parameter settings or number of frames?

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

A bug probably.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Basic 3D Swirl
                      Craig2028 Level 1

Basic 3D video effect problem solved!

It turns out it is a memory problem. The weird thing is that Premiere doesn't give me a low memory error -- it just stops rendering frames and leaves them blank.

Previously I had been doing my Basic 3D tests at DSLR 1080p30 and was getting the problems described above. Just on a hunch, I created a new project at HDV720p30, added a Title, and applied the Basic3D swivel. Surprise, it worked. So I also added Basic3D tilt and (just for fun) added a Motion scale and position. That worked too.

My slightly old iMac is limited to 4GM of RAM. I checked in Pr Preferences under Memory and found that other programs were taking up 1.5GB, so Pr only has 2.5GB.  Maybe it's time to look at a new iMac.

You can see Basic3D test here:  http://youtu.be/XJpt3toK9FQ