15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2012 2:26 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

clip plays wrong footage

bluzdawg Level 1

I previously posted this in after affects forum, but i don't think that's where the problem is.   

Simply put, when i play a clip on the timeline, the program monitor shows a completely different clip.  

At first, this seemed to happen only when "replace w AE comp" was employed.   It was suggested that

a reasonable work-around was to process (stablize) each clip independently in AE, NOT using the

"replace w AE comp" menu choice.  

That seemed to work fine, for a while....each clip was saved in AE and then imported into P Pro;

eventually, however, i had the clip, [the OLD problem, again] show the correct poster frame, and

even play correctly in the project panel previewer, but NOT from the timeline.   I tried placing the

clip on the timeline from souce monitor, dragging it from project panel, and from media browser.

I have looked all over the help documents, finding nothing to address this.   I SUSPECT that it may

be due to a faulty index somewhere, or hopefully some simple step i am forgetting...anyone?

i have P Pro v 5.2.2; hardware is octal processor 8 G ram @ 3.4 ghz

• 1. Re: clip plays wrong footage
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Be sure to put all comps in the same AE project.

Be sure to not use any numbers in the clip name, the comp name, or the project name (or if you have to, spell them out as One, Two, etc.)

• 2. Re: clip plays wrong footage
            bluzdawg Level 1

no numbers?   maybe it's that simple?   I've been naming them after the clip number, like P205 or C75 depending on which

camera it was shot with - nobody has mentioned this yet - I'll sure give it a try.    I did get up to a half dozen UNmixedup

clips, MAYBE because the clips had been sequential. 

To clear this up, AE can have many comps in a single project - and that project does or does NOT need to contain any

reference to the Pr Pro project name, ya or na? 

• 3. Re: clip plays wrong footage
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

The issue was discussed in details in After Effects Forum.

OP was also warned about incremental naming issue.

And again, Jim, it's not necessary to store dynamically linked compositions in the same AE project.

• 4. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy - glad to hear from  you on this, as you were familiar with the issue - and i had forgotten about the

incremental naming issue mentioned at that time (the AE posting) , which didn't really sink in,

since i wasn't naming things with numbers then. 

I see that you mentioned NOT needing to store "dynamically linked compositions" in the same AE project.

This latest confrontation with the issue occured when NOT using the dynamic link from the timeline.

I THINK i was following your suggestion and simply re-opening AE with each subsequent clip, and saving

the project as a separate project.   I admit i was naming the project like C75stbl, which DOES have a number

in it,  and maybe that is the issue in the first place, now that i was trying to keep the stablized clip in the

same folder as the raw footage - which may be a problem in itself.    Or perhaps I am not sure exactly

what it is i am "saving" in file/save - the project or the comp - I was thinking it is the comp.

I would be willing to pore over some more help documents, but none i have found to date seem to deal

with this issue. 

Maybe a better approach would be just stating the problem this way:   i have an asset in the project

panel that displays the correct poster frame and plays the correct footage - when i put it on the

timeline, the footage is different.   The only consistent parameter is that it occurs with clips

that have been stablized - but not ALL of them.  

• 5. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  And again, Jim, it's not necessary to store dynamically linked compositions in the same AE project.

There have been issues in the past when using comps from multiple AE projects on one PP project, so as a short and quick guide to solving a Dynamic Link issue, I still include that caveat.  You're always free to step in and add more information.

• 6. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                    You're always free to step in and add more information.

I try my best almost every time when such advice is given as imperative while discussing issues with Dynamic Link. Proven too many times that it is possible to store dynamically linked compositions for the same PrPro project in different AE projects (even in AE projects from different Suites) without having any issues.

• 7. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

such advice is given as imperative

Try not to see it as an "imperative".  It's really just a quick guideline for resolving an issue.  (And it has resolved issues in the past, so while it may not be absolutely necessary, it also doesn't hurt, and might even help.)

• 8. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Fuzzy,

I have also done it with separate AE Projects (all small), and not had any issues, however agree with Jim, that it COULD be a problem here, and something to include in the testing.

It's sort of like using ADL between PrPro and Encore. Usually, all works just fine, well, until it does not.  When it does not work, narrowing things down to doing an Export from PrPro, and Import into Encore, can often get the job done, and out the door.

There are many instances, where little things CAN make a difference, even if most users do not encounter problems. As an example, I have helped on many cases, where a simple OS update has "killed" a video driver, and a newer one fixes things. Others, however, have never had an OS update render a video driver obsolete.

I have seen a single, uncovered gap in a Video Timeline kill an Export. However, I have seen a Timeline with 900+ uncovered gaps, Export just fine!

In the end, it just depends, and distilling the problem to the lowest "common denominator," can often be helpful. We tend to accumulate general tips and guidelines, for "things that just work."

Because you and I have not had an issue, does not mean that in the OP's case, it might actually be a fix.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Jim Simon wrote:

Try not to see it as an "imperative"...

It's hardly possible when it' said 'be sure' instead of 'one option'.

Bill Hunt wrote:

Because you and I have not had an issue, does not mean that in the OP's case, it might actually be a fix.

Sorry Bill, when I'm talking about the absence of the necessity to store dynamically linked compositions in one single AE project that doesn't mean I just never encountered an issue, but rather dabbled with enough, was able to reproduce and fix one. That's why I've been repeatedly explaining for more than a year that in is not necessary to store dynamically linked compositions in the same AE project, 'cos in some circumstances it's not wise or simply impossible

• 10. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                            bluzdawg Level 1

Intersting to read the comments - and i've been practicing, again what Fuzzy suggested, make separate projects

of each clip, importing them directly to AE, NOT using the repl w ae comp menu choice - at least I THINK i followed

all that , and things havebeen working well, well, until...a NEW closely related issue -  processed exactly

the same as a half dozen other clips - only NOW i have a clip on the timeline with a previous clips poster frame,

and it's content AND the newly stabilized clip attached to the tail end of it.with no black frames between.

I have been rendering each clip after putting it on the timeline.  When i save it in AE, i name it

twosixtyonestbl, rather than 261stbl.    When i import to PPro  thru media browser, it is listed as twosistyonestbl.

When it appears in the project panel, it's listed as 261/twosixtyonestbl.  Double clicking from there causes

it to play in the source monitor correctly.  There is NO reference to "linked comp" anywhere.

....AND, after trimming the clip on the timeline, to play the correct footage, the poster frame has changed

However, gentlemen, it appears i have discovered most, hopefully, of the "wrong" things that happen

with stabilizing multiple clips in a sequence, and, i THINK, find a work-around.   Apparently this issue

has been discovered before, and there is still some discussion as to it's causes and effects.

Thank you all for your input.

• 11. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                              Fuzzy suggested, make separate projects of each clip, importing them directly to AE, NOT using the repl w ae comp menu choice - at least I THINK i followed all that...

No, you don't. Fuzzy suggested something completely different.

1. Fuzzy gave you step by step explanation of the Dynamic Link workflow

2. Fuzzy warned you about some Dynamic Link issues and explained how to fix them with several options

3. Fuzzy supplied you with PrPro Forum link containing advanced Todd's comments, which clarify when it is worth using Dynamic Link, and when - digital intermediates

4. Fuzzy proposed you to utilise digital intermediates until you learn After Effects basics and understand how Dynamic Link works, since it's impossible to chew what is a layer, a composition, a project, a Footage tab, a Layer tab, a Composition tab etc. etc.

• 12. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                                bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy - thanks again - i just went through the entire posts from the beginning, and incorrectly

attributed some of the ideas i had gotten to you. 

and, like you said, you gave me a step-by-step on the DL workflow, and warned me

about some of the issues, and explained avoiding incremental naming, etc along with

references to several PrPro forum discussions, which at times can seem like

a very round-about way to get to the nitty-gritty on this.  You will be pleased to know

that i am studying AE, a page at a time,      and now know the difference between

a layer, a comp, a project, a footage tab. etc..and have got a better handle on

those items than before.   And thanks for the reminder, since i had gone past

the render lossless in AE, although i'm not sure exactly how it gets past the

dynamic link problem. 

At least this time, i THINK i have the issue posted in a more appropriate forum

than AE - or have i got that wrong?

AE is fascinating, and a world of its own, but right now all i'm using is the warp

stabilizer, which has been great - it seems the only issue is the ADL, and

at this point, seems the only way to deal with it is using work-arounds...

• 13. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Yes, PrPro Forum is more appropriate place for discussing Dynamic Link issues.

However, you can't fix an issue until you don't grasp the vocabulary and basics of both applications (no, you are not 'invited to the entire world' of animation as you stated here, you just need to know how to use a remote control so as to watch your favourite TV Channel).

• 14. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                                    bluzdawg Level 1

whew, not following you here - "...grasp the vocabulary and basics of both..." sounds a bit akin to me telling

a student he needs to learn all of music theory before he picks up a guitar

and the "world of animation" as i stated HERE wasn't something i found in that posting

and the reference to a remote control went completely past me. 

Apparently the issue I'm having with Dynamic Link is an undocumented feature

and the solution(s) are a collection of work-arounds, all somewhat subject to

various criticisms, none being neither right nor wrong, and I guess I'm just on my

own with it.   It appears that i can "work around" the issue with some consistency,

and just live with it...

I'm still open to suggestions. 

• 15. Re: clip plays wrong footage
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                      Apparently the issue I'm having with Dynamic Link is an undocumented feature...

Nice to hear I succeeded at least on explaining this one...

and the reference to a remote control went completely past me...
                                      ...I'm still open to suggestions

It's up to everybody to decide whether to participate in a particular discussion or not, and whether to familiarise oneself which information was already presented OP so as to make one's own judgement why an issue still remains...

Glad you found your own consistent workaround.