5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 1:47 PM by monkeytheboy

How to cut in between frames?

monkeytheboy

I'm completely new to Premiere Elements. I saw the capabilities of it on the internet and just had to purchase this software so I was pretty excited when my package came in the mail.

My issue has to do with timing. I want to create music videos with mp3 files. I have software that analyzes the music and tells me how many beats per minute the audio files play at. The file I am currently working on plays at 128bpm which is approximately a video cut at about a timing divisible by .47 seconds. However, I'm not sure where (or how) to make premiere elements cut a video at exactly .47 seconds since the cut marker goes by frame, not necessarily timing.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to cut in between frames?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With Video, the lowest element is the Frame. There can be no half, third, or similar Frames - ONE Frame only.

If you need to adjust things, at a finer level, than 1/24th, 1/25th or 1/30th of a second, depending on the Frame Rate, the only choices are to adjust the Audio, by a lower percentage, or higher percentage.

Now, PrPro allows one to work in Audio Units, so one could work with the Audio at 1/48,000th of a sec., but for the Video, would still be locked into a single Frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to cut in between frames?
            monkeytheboy Level 1

That's unfortunate to learn. I figured that since Windows Live Movie maker was able to split video at finite time points, that this program would be able to it without a hitch as well.

I had read somewhere on the internet that one can possible create a still frame and, since this would be a still image in the video, it could probably be cut finitely. Something about creating a still image from the last frame on video1 and the first frame on video 2.

Can anyone lend any ideas on this? The reason for this is because on some cuts I have to make, I have to make them at the precise moment that a beat starts. Failure to do this creates an issue with the audio sync.

• 3. Re: How to cut in between frames?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The only way to do what you are talking about is by editing the Audio, which can be more precise - on Sample Rate, or for most Projects, 1/48,000th of a sec. Unfortunately, PrE does not allow you set the TimeCode of the Timeline to Audio Units, like its big-brother, PrPro, does.

In PrE, one can use Time Stretch on the Audio (think that it has the Maintain Pitch option), to adjust the Audio by very fine amounts, either in a +, or -, to slightly speed up, or slow down the Audio. It's just a bit easier, if one can adjust things at the Audio Sample Rate. I would experiment with this.

Depending on the FPS of your Project, you can get to within 1/24th, 1/25th or 1/30th of a sec.

All video editors are limited to 1 Frame accuracy. It might appear that one can Cut anywhere, but it will still be on a Frame. Think about it for a moment. How would a half of a Frame look? when played back?

Also, though you start with a Still Image, any NLE (Non Linear Editor) program will need to convert that to Video, though there is no motion in the Still Image. The Still Image becomes a Frame, repeated by the Duration x the FPS of the Project. That is why when you add a Still Image to the Timeline, there is a red line above it - to play back smoothly, PrE needs to Render what is now a Video Clip.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to cut in between frames?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I just verified that PrE DOES have Maintain Pitch, in Time Stretch. It also allows you increase/decrease by fractional %'s, so should work perfectly, for what you want to do. It might take some experimentation, as you dealing with pretty fine adjustments here, but doable.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to cut in between frames?
                  monkeytheboy Level 1

Thanks for everyone's insight. The information provided is unfortunate but I'm making the best of it. I guess the most I like about the program is that I can cut a video up into pieces without it crashing on me, which is really the only reason I bought the program, otherwise I would've stayed with Live Movie maker. I've done videos before with movie maker that come out pretty good. Here's one that I finished with that programs that was moderately well liked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3pYvprKZ4

I'll post my finished product to make comparisons once I am done with it. I'm terribly OCD about the timings so it's bugging that little part of my brain inside but I'm ignoring because the show must go on!