7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2012 1:53 PM by woodystyle777

editing and workflow for longer movies

woodystyle777

hey guys, I have been editing with premiere pro and after effects cs5.5 now and rendering out short movies (usually around a minute).  My question is, in the future if I want to start making longer movies, do you still edit and render the whole thing as one project?  Or is there some way of using sequences that will let me complete sections of a movie? 

For example, if I wanted to make a 20minute movie that contained 3 main scenes, Is there a way to edit the three parts in separate edits and then connect them?  I tried looking this up but i'm not exactly sure how to even ask this question properly.

Thanks

• 1. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
          coredvideo Level 1

You can do this in same timeline or create new SEQ to that,

and in the end compile them in same timeline.

Duration of project does not matter in new versions of PPRO.

• 2. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
            shooternz Level 6

You could edit in any number of sequences for your own reasons and management of the project...then create a final sequence and bring in all the other sequences as nested sequences.

A Nest is a sequence dragged into a new sequence directly from the Project Bin. It acts a a single clip.

• 3. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
              woodystyle777 Level 1

so if you use the nest feature, will they eventually all go to a single timeline that you render?

• 4. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. The will be combined, just as you structured them. In a Nested Sequence, those Sequences are essentially treated like Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

woodystyle777 wrote:

For example, if I wanted to make a 20minute movie that contained 3 main scenes, Is there a way to edit the three parts in separate edits and then connect them?

There are lots of ways to do this; PPro has some flexiblity. One way would be to create a separate sequence for each of your main scenes, name the sequences so you can easily find them when you want them, say "scene one" "scene two" and "scene three". Edit as you normally would until you get them where you want them.

Then, create a forth sequence, call it "20 minute movie". Now, go to the project panel and click and drag the sequence icon for "scene one" down to the "20 minute movie" timeline. Repeat for "scene two" and "scene three". And there you have your 20 minute movie.

This technique is generally called nesting. You can now edit these nested sequences just like you would anything else in a sequence. You can also apply effects, transitions, etc. You can even continue to work on, say, "scene one" and see the results in "20 minute movie". For example, say you applied a color correction to "scene one" and when you saw it in "20 minute movie" up against "scene two" you decided it was to... something. No problem, just click on the "scene one" tab and change it. This change will flow down to "20 minute movie" and you'll see it there when you go back to it.

Still, unless you have a lot of editing to do on your separate scenes, most people will elect to do this work in a single sequence. Easier to see how the bits and pieces fit together, and easier on the computer (fewer levels of indirection it has to traverse to apply all your edits and effects). But this is the joy of PPro. Use the workflow that makes you most comfortable so you can concentrate on the work at hand.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

My general workflow is as you suggest, though I seldom Nest my Sequences, as I am usually going to DVD/BD, and keep each of my Sequences separate, and either use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), or Export each Sequence separately, to be Imported into Encore as a separate Timeline.

However, if I did need them combined into, say one output file, Nesting would be my next step, just as outlined.

Hunt

• 7. Re: editing and workflow for longer movies
                      woodystyle777 Level 1

Thankyou for the help everyone.