4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 1:23 PM by ahlaj77

Sign and email form without a no save option?

ahlaj77 Level 1

Is this possible? I am working with someone who would like their form to be fillable, but yet be able to email, sign it, and not allow the user to use the "save command." Is this possible? Or do the "enable additional features" NEED to be turned on in order for the email/signing to work?

Also, what javascript code can I use for emailing the whole PDF document and still has all the fields filled out? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Sign and email form without a no save option?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want to make the changes you mentioned, the document will need to be saved. In order to save a modified document with Reader, it needs to be Reader-enabled. To email the entire document, you can use either doc.submitForm (using a mailto type URL), or doc.mailDoc. Each method automatically performs a save.

If what you're asking about is to have one user with Acrobat fill-in, sign, save, and email and the recipient not be able to make further changes, the document can be locked when signing the last signature field. This is an option the person who signs can select, or the signature field can be set up (via JavaScript) so this happens automatically. In this case, the document does not need to be Reader-enabled since that is not required when using Acrobat.

• 2. Re: Sign and email form without a no save option?
            ahlaj77 Level 1

The person I am doing this for does not have access to the adobe acrobat program. Thus I am creating the form for them (i have adobe acrobat pro x). All their users will be using Adobe Reader only. What they are asking for is for users to: Submit the filled out PDF by Email, Sign the Document, and not allow the user to save the filled out document...in Adobe Reader. Is this possible or would I need to enable the additional features from Adobe Acrobat Pro X? Thanks!

• 3. Re: Sign and email form without a no save option?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That's not possible, a document cannot be signed without it being saveable. Even if it were, according to the Acrobat License Agreement, you cannot enable documents for others outside of your organization to use to collect data. What you can do is create a form that submits just the form data via email, but this would preclude the users from signing. The recipient of the submitted data can then use Acrobat or some other program that allows the data to be imported into a blank form and save it.

If signatures are necessary, the person who needs this must obtain Acrobat Pro and enable the form. There is a limit of 500 returned forms that they can use data from if the enabled document is distributed to more than 500 recipients. You can still create the form for them and just supply a non-enabled version.

• 4. Re: Sign and email form without a no save option?
                ahlaj77 Level 1

All your answers have been extremely helpful! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I am still learning the ropes of Adobe Acrobat. Any lil tips and tricks help out! THANK YOU!!!