Cooler: Antec 620

RAM: 4 x 4 GB 1600

GPU: Asus GTX 670

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB

HDD: WD 1 TB

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: New PC For CS6
          Jim_Simon Level 9

I'd at at least one more drive, and preferably two more.

C: SSD (Windows and Programs)

D: 1TB (Projects, Scratch, Media Cache)

E: 2TB (Media)

F: 1TB (Exports)

• 3. Re: New PC For CS6
            Dr.Paneas

I have many questions about the most effiecent PC for Adobe Premiere, so instead of starting a new thread I will post them here.

First thing first, I need to know abou the CPU - Processors.

What is the best processor for the rendering job out there ? I mean, what's the difference betweem many cores (physical), Hyperthreaded(cores) or just high frequency ? For example, if I buy the best 6core AMD (6 native cores + 6 threads), what makes it better or worse choice of buying an Intel quadcore (eg i7 920).

Cores vs MHz ?

Alternative way: CUDA Rendering. Yes, I've seen how amazing things can be done using the CUDA cores of NVIDIA cards. I used to own an GTX465 until it fried. Too much renderin (imagine about 6 months projects) almost every time about 4-5 hours rendering each day, and then the card is proven to be dead Well, dead=malfunctioning, too many artifacts, random freezes, etc.

So, should I buy a $500 expensive CPU or a $500 Kepler GPU ?

Secondly, I prefer using an SSD for the operating system and program files. I think 256GB is a MUST (at least 128 - no less!!!).

Although, I want your opinion about Green internal 7200RPM Western Digital hard disks ? I've heard that lot's of them are quite buggy under pressure, and rendering (writing and reading all the time under heavy pressure) is a nasty thing. So, should I buy a 120 Euro Green or an 210 Euro Caviar Black (5 years warranty) ?  What brandname do you trust the most ? I am asking that because lot's of WD died recently at my work (I am working as Computer Service technician).

Third part: I want to talk about the RAM modules. What do you guys prefer here ? Capacity or speed ? Maybe a little bit of both would be the best answer, but suppose I don't have 400$ to spent for a decent kit of 16GB running at 2000MHz.

Last but not least, are there any settings that MUST be done for Adobe Premiere ? I mean, should I adjust the pagefile (I have 16GB RAM), or anything else ? Should I disable indexing at hardtrive or any prefetching services ?

Thanks and sorry for the long story post

• 4. Re: New PC For CS6
              Harm Millaard Level 7

About all your questions are answered in the FAQ section in this form, so read all the articles there and the noteworthy facts from them.

But to answer the most basic question: Never get an AMD CPU, the 920 is outdated, the only sensible options you have are i7-2600K or i7-3930K. Never use anything called 'green', especially not 'green' disks. ONLY use 7200 RPM or faster disks. Memory: first amount of RAM, then rated speed and last CAS timings. Last, see the tuning guide in the FAQ section.

• 5. Re: New PC For CS6
                Sheibani Level 1

Mr. Millaard

What you think about my PC?

Chassis: Zalman Z9 Plus Or COUGAR Evolution?

PSU: Corsair Pro Gold AX750

M.B: MSI Z68A-GD55 Or .... ?

CPU: Intel i7 2700K

Cooler: Antec 620 Or Air Cooling?

RAM: 4 x 4 GB 1600

GPU: Asus GTX 670

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB

HDD: WD 1 TB

Thanks

• 6. Re: New PC For CS6
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Chassis: Zalman Z9 Plus Or COUGAR Evolution? ... Pure personal choice

PSU: Corsair Pro Gold AX750... Good choice

M.B: MSI Z68A-GD55 Or .... ? Or ASUS or Gigabyte. Many choices here. Go by the features you require.

CPU: Intel i7 2700K ... Good choice. If you are going to be overclocking, the 2600K may suffice.

Cooler: Antec 620 Or Air Cooling? ... The Antec will not do better than air cooling and not be much quieter with a 1400 RPM fan. Alternative is the CoolerMaster H212 EVO air cooling.

RAM: 4 x 4 GB 1600...Good

GPU: Asus GTX 670... Very good

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB... Doubtful. OCZ has a high failure rate and is not very fast. I would look at Samsung 830, Corsair Performance Pro, or even Intel 520 or Crucial M4.

HDD: WD 1 TB... Get a couple more Blacks if you are not going to raid them. Never Green or Blue. If raiding them in a parity raid, opt for Seagate Barracuda or Constellation ES or Hitachi Deskstar/Ultrastar.

• 7. Re: New PC For CS6
                    Sheibani Level 1

i look this benchmark

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/409?vs=560

I think Corsair Force GT is better than OCZ Vertex 4...is not?

Thank you

• 8. Re: New PC For CS6
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The Force GT is still SandForce based. All SF controllers claim speeds that look very impressive, but in practical life for video editing, the effective write speeds of SandForce controllers is - in the best of cases - no more than 50% or less of that claimed speed. SF based SSD's can achieve their claimed speeds when writing for instance a Word document, that is 50 KB big and then they claim it is written in X time. What they don't tell you is that this Word document is first compressed to say 10 KB and then written. So, effectively the write speed is 5 times slower than claimed, because not 50 KB is written, but only 10 KB.

The AnandTech results do not tell whether it is about heavily compressible data, like Word documents, or not-compressible data like video material. Luckily both Marvell and Samsung controller based SSD's claim only effective write speeds in their advertisements, not the inflated SF figures, so for video editing the Marvell / Samsung claims are much more realistic.

• 9. Re: New PC For CS6
                        Sheibani Level 1

Sorry...

I have limited choices

ADATA XPG SX900 128 GB

Intel 330 Series 120 GB

Intel 320 Series 160 GB

Corsair Force GT 120 GB

OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB

OCZ Agility 4 128 GB

What's your Best Choise?

Thanks for everything

• 10. Re: New PC For CS6
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You do have internet, right? Find a webshop that ships abroad. I recently bought stuff from California, South Africa, China, Korea, Germany, Belgium, Russia and some other places.

• 11. Re: New PC For CS6
                            Sheibani Level 1

Well   Last Question..Last Choise..Samsung , Crucial or Mushkin?

Samsung 830

Crucial M4

Mushkin Chronos

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe MX

Harm...Thank you so much

• 12. Re: New PC For CS6
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

They are all good choices. In your case, I would be practical and decide which one is easiest to get into your country and that may be influenced by the supplier and his (political) standing in your country. I would probably use the order in would you put them down, so first Samsung, etc.