5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 7:36 PM by hesseli

Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU

Vern Reynolds-Braun Level 1

I'm considering building a new system for Premiere Pro CS6 editing. Would anybody be able to offer some suggestions or advice on whether the new Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU 3770 is worth considering?

• 1. Re: Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You piqued my curiosity:

• First generation: i7-9xx
          • Second generation: Sandy Bridge (E)
          • Third generation: Ivy Bridge???

Is that what you mean? Ivy Bridge is only marginally faster than Sandy Bridge and is still crippled by the 1155 platform. The 3770 is hampered by the integrated graphics on the Z77 mobo's, which needs to be turned off and even then you are limited by the lack of PCI-e lanes on that platform.

Third generation Ivy Bridge E on the 2011 platform is what I'm waiting for. Have you heard anything about that? I'm waiting for the full complement of cores and L3 cache to be enabled within the 130W TDP design, so octo cores with HT and 20 MB L3 cache, not the disabled SB-E design.

• 2. Re: Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU

Thanks Harm.

Yes I was referring to the Ivy Bridge 1155 platform, 3770 series CPU's from Intel. I have heard about the Ivy Bridge E on the 2011 platform which should be available in 2013.

SO, my question is, if I can't wait till next year, would my current CPU, the LGA 1366 Intel i7 980 six core (3.33 GHz-locked) 12 Mb cache processor be ok to keep and NOT get a  1155 Ivy Bridge 3770?

• 3. Re: Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Absolutely. Your current i7-980X is far better than any Ivy Bridge CPU. Maybe not if you only look at the CPU sec, but if you consider the platform, the memory and the PCI-e lanes, it makes no sense at all to make a down-grade or in the best case a side-grade to an Ivy Bridge system.

I'm a bit disappointed by your remark about Intel plans for the IB-E in 2013. I had hoped that they would come out with the IB-E  sometime in Q3 to boost new sales with the upcoming introduction of Windows 8 around October, not more than a year after introducing SB-E.

Have you stumbled over this article: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

• 4. Re: Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU

Harm wrote: I'm a bit disappointed by your remark about Intel plans for the IB-E in 2013. Harm, I read this on a review page (can't remember which one) so the source may or may not be accurate.

Thanks for the link, I've been looking over your thoughts on a new system, Part 1.

Vern

• 5. Re: Intel 3rd generation i7 CPU
                  hesseli

I have on my búying list i7-3930K 3.2GHz LGA2011 based editing pc. Should I wait for that IB-E? Will probably buy not sooner than fall.