7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 4:23 PM by quoz

Resize AND resample... in what order?

quoz Level 1

Hello all.  I've had to resample images up a bit on occasion for use at larger sizes (i.e. placement in Illustartor or INDesign at a larger size) and have done that with good results. However, I have a different situation now.

I have an image that is 300 dpi. I am working on a huge display in InDesign, and I've had to place this image at 392%, which gives me an effective dpi of 76.

The display company I'm working with wants the image placed at 100%, but needs only 100 effective dpi due to the nature of their technology.

So I think what I need to do is both:

- reSIZE the image to 392% AND

- reSAMPLE the image to be 100 dpi.

I believe this will have to be a two-step process using the Image Size palette. My question is, in what order do I take these two steps and what settings do I use in the Image SIze palette to get the best results?

Using Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 on Mac OS 10.6.8.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
          Curt Y Level 7

Try to forget about ppi and dpi as picture resolution is really measured with the height and width of the picture in pixels.  If you resample you can create pixels, but it does not increase resolution, and in fact may decrease resolution.

DPI is a priinter spec for dots per inch of ink.

So you need to find out what size of document in pixels for H & W is needed first.

• 2. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
            Level 7

It's a single step - just resampling the pixels, and reassigning a new size/resolution value.

• 3. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
              quoz Level 1

I referred to DPI because that is how the display company explains it:  "Please make sure any images you have linked are at full size @ 100 dpi."

I don't know what you mean by:  "...find out what size of document in pixels for H&W is needed first."

• 4. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
                Curt Y Level 7

They must have some spec. as a 70 x 100 pixel picture will be a whole lot worse than a 3000 x 4000 pixel picture even if both at full size and 100 dpi.

• 5. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
                  quoz Level 1

Thanks for responding!

I understand what you are saying about pixel size and ppi, but the printers do not offer any guidelines with that.  I have explained to the person I am working with in our company (who supplied the original images) that I will try to make them look as good as possible but there are no guarantees. I do understand that any resampling is going to impact pix clarity and that overdoing it, or using an image that is crappy to start with  is going to result in a garbage-in-garbage-out situation.  I can only work with what I'm given, unfortunately, and warn the requestor accordingly...  My goal is to use Photoshop's resampling and resizing ability in the best way possible--that is, with the least amount of degradation to the image.

Our own experience is that we are better off resampling the pix if necessary in Photoshop to place them at 100% into InDesign, rather than placing them at a high percentage into INDesign, and that is what the print company is asking for. Usually when forced into these circumstances, we would leave Resample on in the Photoshop Image Size dialogue box, set it to Bicubic Smoother (best for enlargement), and plug in the percentage that the image is placed in INDesign. E.g. for a 300 ppi image that would have to be placed at 125%, I instead resample in Pshop by indicating the percentage in the Pixel Dimensions section, save the new image, possibly add a High Pass overlay layer to sharpen a bit, and place that at 100% into INDesign.

I do understand that resampling is not a perfect solution by any means because the pixel size increases, and increased quantity of pixels is merely the result of imperfect resampling.

I'm just not sure of the BEST way (i.e. with least negative impact)  to both get this image down to the 100 dpi the printer wants, and also get it to the size they want to place it at 100%.

Does that help?

• 6. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
                    Curt Y Level 7

quoz wrote:

I referred to DPI because that is how the display company explains it:  "Please make sure any images you have linked are at full size @ 100 dpi."

I am having a hard time with the above as what does "full size" mean?  My guess is that the person that developed the statement has no idea about what comprises picture quality.  Although you may be a junior worker it should be your task to give them two examples at each end to show that there statement means nothing, and can do harm to the company.  (I have always been a rabble rouser in the workplace).

Send them a picture of around 70x100 pixels and one of 5000 x 7000 and let them see what the results look like.  I can guarantee that your next job will be to set some standard for the images to be submitted.

• 7. Re: Resize AND resample... in what order?
                      quoz Level 1

What they want is a 100 ppi image (you open it in Photoshop, go to Image Size and it says:the Resolution (in Document Size) is 100 pixels/inch. They want that image placed in InDesign at 100%-- not 125%, not 359%. They're trying to keep their processing time to a minimum by requiring that the resizing be done before image placement, rather than within the InDesign layout program, thereby minimizing the complexity of the art file and the amount of additional processing InDesign and their output program(s) need to handle.

They don't CARE about the pixel dimensions.

From the point of view of the display printing company... it's not their responsibility to scold customers for sending poor images. They receive images at all levels of quality, I'm sure.

And I don't have time, responsibility or inclination to protect them by creating sample images and pointing out that their guidelines don't cover the gamut of crappy images that their customers may send. And no, I am not the one who chose this display printing company. I am helping out someone in a different department of our own company. She choses who prints their displays.

The request I received was to take the images I've been given (and the "standards" under which those images were taken are also completely out of my control, so please don't go there) and make them look as good as possible while sending images within the specifications the display print company HAS set. I DO care about pixel size; however, I didn't know the best way to get to what they need with minimal degradation to existing picture quality.

Sigh. Never mind. I'll figure it out the best way to get a 300 ppi image placed at 392% in InDesign downsized to 100 ppi and placed in InDesign at 100%. It's late on a Friday, I'm covering for several people, and I thought someone might already have encountered such a scenario.

(BTW, I don't know why you made the assumption about "junior worker". I have expertise in some things, not as much in others. As is the case for everyone else in the world. And in these days of downsizing a lot of us are forced to wear hats that are not so familiar--and carefully choose the circumstances when rabble rousing might be worth the repercussions. This ain't one of those circumstances...)