11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2013 3:30 PM by Peter Spier Branched to a new discussion.

Transforming objects

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6effa.h tml

• 1. Re:  Transforming objects
          si-boneGFX

The "Reset scaling value to 100%" menu is nowhere to be found when following the instructions above. The closest one can get, via the transform flyout menu is "Clear Transformations" which will cause all things to be scaled back to their "original size" for eternity.  Just try applying that command a few times in a row to an object frame or text frame that has been scaled and you'll end up with fonts the size of a medieval castle ...

• 2. Re:  Transforming objects
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have an object selected? Are the preferences set to "Adjust Scaling Percentage"?

• 3. Re:  Transforming objects
              si-boneGFX Level 1

Hello Peter.

I have tried selecting the object, selecting the text, selecting both and nothing works. In fact, I spent close to 2 hors today with two Adobe techs who, first, were not familiar with the problem and, second, while they were able to replicate it, couldt not explain it. The Adobe on-line manual for InDesign CS6 talks about a command called "Reset scaling value to 100%" which one can –while an object is selected– "... choose from the Transform or Control panel menu." (the quoted text is pasted directly from that manual). That command does not exists or, at least, neither I nor the techs could find it. There is, instead, that other command I mentioned in my original message, "Clear Transformations" but, as I explained there, that action only creates a bigger (lit) mess … Adobe now has my file and will report their findings next week.

Oh, regaring the Prefs.: This problem occurs whith Adjust Scaling Percentage on or off.

A.

• 4. Re:  Transforming objects

As usual, the help files are a little bit off, but not seriously. In CS6 the command is Redefine Scaling as 100% and it is the third on in the list on my system, just after Clear Transformations, and above Dimensions Include Stroke Weight. if you don't see it, Edit > Menus... switch to the context and panel menus in the dropdown and make sure it is set to show.

In order to be usable ALL of the following must be true: Prefs must be set to adjust scaling percentage; an object must have been scaled; the entire object must be selected with the regular selection tool (Black Arrow).

If it still fails to function for you, see Replace Your Preferences

• 5. Re:  Transforming objects
                  si-boneGFX Level 1

Hello Peter. Thanks you so much for trying to help me with this. I juts had a chance to test the settings you listed above and, guess what? I still cannot see the Redefine Scaling as 100% command. I can confirm that the command is listed in the Context & Panel Menus and visible, as it is by default (I made it red so I would not miss it). I selected text that has been scaled and shows the (darned and utterly pointless) size in parenthesis. Then, I selected the text frame (not the text itself) with the black arrow and called the contextual menu for the frame: under the fly-out menu Transform, the last item is Clear Transformations (boy, lets' talk about a command that generates absolutely crazy results) and no Redefine Scaling as 100% command in red to be seen anywhere. So, my work around is to delte the scaled frame (which is now, as far as I'm concerned, corrupt) an paste the text in a new frame that has not been scaled. So, what's going on? Beyond the mystery command not being there, I cannot imagine why this absurd scaling behavior is there at all (nothing like this happenes in Illustrator, for example), nor can I imagine the vast mayority of users "needing" text frames to behave like that … I have an open case with the Adobe geniuses and I hope to hear from them next week. Of course, if you come up with a new idea, I'd love to try it.

Thanks again. A.

• 6. Re:  Transforming objects

You're looking for the command in the wrong place. The command does not appear in the right-click context menu. It does appear inthe flyoout menus for both the Transform and Control panels. Does that help?

• 7. Re:  Transforming objects
                      si-boneGFX Level 1

Hello Peter. It took me forever to retake this thing ... Your last message really helped me as the command is indeed there, precisely where you said it was. Who knew!

I hope that this "function" (for which I stil cannot find a good, rational explanation) is in future versions either eliminated entirely from InDesign or, at the very least, added to the contextual menus.

Regardless, I learned sothing new and I thank you for your good help.

Regards,

A.C.

• 8. Re:  Transforming objects

Personally, I use Apply to Content in the prefs, rather than Adjust Scaling, and it becomes a non-issue.

• 9. Re:  Transforming objects
                          si-boneGFX Level 1

A second before I got your message, I changed the prefs myslef.

Thanks again.

A.C.

• 10. Re:  Transforming objects
                            HHSDebbie

"Being able to modify the frame apart from the contents adds flexibility, but it may take some time to get used to."  This change from earlier versions of ID I still don't like. Maybe someone could give some examples of reasons to modify the frame, and how you would do that. I'm used to only having the option to change the frame stroke design and width right in the stroke panel, am I missing other great design ideas? Thank you!! Debbie

• 11. Re:  Transforming objects

If memory serves, this topic was about transformations, so that would be things like size and shape or rotation. You can rotate the frame and content separately (good for working with text, perhaps) or apply opposite shears for some special effect.

1 person found this helpful