5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 8:24 AM by cfg_2451

i hate having to change video specs...

Keith_Clark Level 2

so i havent really messed with doing HD footage for someone else myself, and there are more variables to HD than SD. (all HD footage i've done, i've shot myself so i know how to set it up before hand)

so i got some footage in, and video is shot in 1080p29.97. do i convert to 1080i29.97? or 1080p24 for blu-ray? i don't really notice much difference myself... but technically speaking, what would be the preferred method?

• 1. Re: i hate having to change video specs...
          shooternz Level 6

Common practice (and wisdom)  is to match your edit project to your source footage then deal with everything else at export level when you get there.

• 2. Re: i hate having to change video specs...
            Keith_Clark Level 2

oh yeah, thats what i meant. i edit to a sequence that matches the footage, but i mean do i export it to h.264 1080p24? or 1080i29.97? technically speaking, what would be the preferred method?

• 3. Re: i hate having to change video specs...
              shooternz Level 6

What you export is determined entirely by where and how it is to be "presented".

The rules are determined by the game!

eg ..if the the game is Youtube..export a youtube preset.

If the game is for broadcast...  use broadcast specifications.

If the game is ..share with mates via email...use an export file that will deliver over availabe email bandwidth.

If its for a client...deliver something you are sure they can playback without a hassle and with certainty of the quality they expect.

Technically...stay close the source footage spec. Hopefuly...who ever shot it ..knew what it was intended for "presentation wise". 

• 4. Re: i hate having to change video specs...
                Keith_Clark Level 2

Destination is 1080 blu-ray. So I have 2 choices. Progressive, or interlaced. 1 choice per choice. 24p or 29.97i. I shoot all of my hd in 1080p24 and 1080i29.97. Having 1080p29.97, it's not blu-ray spec, so I have to make a choice. scratches head

• 5. Re: i hate having to change video specs...
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

Export to 1080i30 for blu-ray.

If you export to 1080p24, you'll get pulldown judder. That is, in the conversion from 30p -> 24p, you loose six frames every second. If there's much action to be seen, you might well see this as less than smooth motion. Shows up especially well in scenes with camera pans.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather loose a little resolution than loose smooth cadence. Clearly, YMMV.

But it's easy to try both ways and see the results. Pick the one you like best. Or show them both to your client and let them pick. Compare on a screen big enough to let you see the differences (for example, a 50" HDTV).