5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 7:04 PM by BenjaminMarkus

Workflow question

sharry0048

Hey all... I have been using Adobe products like forever. Im using the cs5 master suite. I edited a short film in Avid MC6. I got in the media as DNxHD36 and edited and locked the pciture. Then I relinked the media with DNxHD145. I exported and AAF. I imported the AAF in After Effects with Automatic Duck Pro. I did all the compositing: Optical flares, denoise etc. Now I want to take this comp to Davinci Resolve Lite for color grading. From there I will either export Tiff sequence or export it back in Avid. How do I take the comp with all the edits intact to Davinci Resolve? Please Help me out as soon as possible. Thanking you in advance.

• 1. Re: Workflow question
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dinvici Resolve will not directly work with AE projects. I'd render your movie to a lossless 10 bit coded and grade the render. That's the only way I know of to go from AE to Resolve Lite.

• 2. Re: Workflow question
            sharry0048 Level 1

But that would not give me different shots. I'd either have to do a Tiff Sequence or a DPX sequence. I would like to have the shots when I go in Davinci Resolve.

• 3. Re: Workflow question
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your workflow and your reasoning is flawed.

DaVinci is perfectly capable of correcting a rendered movie. You can dissolve or transition between cuts easily without the necessity of having each shot on a separate track.

AE is not a NLE and the way it handles footage is completely different than any NLE out there. This means that a color correction system that is not specifically designed to work inside After Effects (like Magic Bullet) will not work. From what I've read Divinci Lite is compatible with (quoting from the website):

Move your projects between your favorite NLE software and DaVinci Resolve and add professional color correction to your edit! DaVinci can be used on set, to grade shots before the edit, or after to grade and re-render the final master in a deeper bit depth. DaVinci supports XML import and export from Final Cut Pro X and any color grades in Final Cut Pro become DaVinci grades once imported. DaVinci Resolve also supports Final Cut Pro 7, Adobe Premiere Pro and also Avid AAF!

You can save an AE project as XML, but if Resolve can read the file any effects added to tracks in AE will not be rendered by DaVinci Resolve. It just won't work. The internal workings of the software are completely different than any NLE. No 3rd party and probably no built in effects added to a track and not rendered in an NLE will come over to the DaVinci CC system either.

It also looks to me like only the color grades from Final Cut Pro X are imported. I have not tried it with Premiere Pro, but I doubt that anything strictly rendered by a Premiere or Avid plugin will not move be rendered through DaVinci.

Most of the projects that I color graded up until about 2 years ago were brought into the CC studio as a completed movie. Only recently have you been able to bring your full edit into a color grading studio and work on separate shots in a timeline. I'm not new at this. I sat through my first color grading session more than 40 years ago.

My workflow would be to bring any rendered effects shots back to my NLE for final editing and then color grade, or better yet, Edit the show without effects, lower 1/3'sti or any other fancy stuff, color grade, then do the effects work. It's just not reasonable to expect to be able to bring an entire movie into AE and expect a 3rd party external color grading system to work with unrendered After Effects layers.

• 4. Re: Workflow question
                sharry0048 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Its really nice hearing from an expert who works in the field and has an experience of more than my age. I just read an article regarding the workflows used by Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter on The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon tattoo. They also edited the film in Avid, composited in After Effects and exported a DPX sequence which they sent to Pablo for grading. I know that they are using a Raw format and hence can afford a generation loss. But I guess it might work even for lossy codecs. I edit in Avid, composite in After Effects and grade in Davinci. Not that different pipeline.

• 5. Re: Workflow question
                  BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I'm not sure how long your film is, but if it's really short, you could set the in and out points for each shot in AE using shift for snapping and the B and N keys.  Then send the shot to the render Q and click Render Settings - Custom (CustomTime Span) and OK.

Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 6.04.51 PM.png

That makes it so it remembers that work area position.

Then you can go back and change the work area position for each shot as you send it to the render Q. 

It's a little time consuming, but if your film is short you'd at least be able to render everything out in seperate shots.

Also, have you thought of using Color Finesse 3 in AE?  I've heard of some newer feature films that were color corrected that way.  Of course you'll have to render the color correction to see it, but it works well enough.

However, I do like the workflow Rick mentioned

Edit the show without effects, lower 1/3'sti or any other fancy stuff, color grade, then do the effects work.