4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 9:40 AM by akribie

Early start of progressive video?

akribie Level 2

Using CS5 Master Collection.

I encoded a video into a 30mb FLV using AME out of PPro and then created a swf with Flash using a standard player skin to get the full-screen option that seems not to be available in the DW skins.  This all works fine locally when tested in an HTML page using the code provided by Flash.

When uploaded to the web server, there is a long delay whilst the whole video file downloads before replay starts.

Two years ago when last I did this I was using an earlier version of the software and seem to recall that there was a parameter to start replay much earlier than this. But I can't find it in CS5.

I've tried playerID.bufferTime = 10 in the AS3 code inside the SWF to no effect.

How can I persuade the video to start playing much more quickly without waiting for the full download to complete?

Thanks for some enlightenment.

• 1. Re: Early start of progressive video?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the flv in the swf or are you loading the flv dynamically (the latter would be the way to go)

• 2. Re: Early start of progressive video?
            akribie Level 2

The swf is just a controller for an external FLV on the server. That's why I am surprised it isn't playing off a smaller buffer than the whole FLV  Hence the query..

• 3. Re: Early start of progressive video?
              adninjastrator Level 4

I'd say the problem is in the .flv... or perhaps it's a f4v (the flash version of an mp4).

there is a long delay whilst the whole video file downloads before replay starts.

This means that the file is not being progressively downloaded, so buffer time has no meaning or effect.

Your problem sounds just like the MOOV ATOM problem often experienced with QuickTime mp4 files. The "movie atom" index which carries the file size into is at the very end of the file, preventing progressive downloading. The solution for that issue is to swap the MA from the very back of the file to the front.

More info here:

http://renaun.com/blog/code/qtindexswapper/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c8oqNX4b3k

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: Early start of progressive video?
                akribie Level 2

Thanks for that.  That is certainly the reason.  Since I was starting with an FLV, the AIR application wasn't the answer.  However, Leawo Video Converter re-wrote the FLV much more quickly that re-outputting from the original source and now the video starts playing almost immediately, which is exactly what I wanted.  Thank you very much for the explanation of the cause.

Do you know if this FLV output problem is fixed in Adobe Media Encoder CS6, or is AME still failing to output useful progressive Flash-format video for the web? Seems rather a basic glitch for such expensive 'professional' software when a $30 program does it properly.  Or am I missing something subtle here?