7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 3:49 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading

alpacajackie

Problem: Premiere Pro won't open.

The purple ribbon is shown, but the program crashes while loading.

Error message:

"Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The purple Pr ribbon load screen is stopped at "Loading Write_on.aex"

Computer Hardware

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Card Dedicated Memory: 1004 MB

Card Driver Version: 8.892.0.0

What version of Premiere Pro?

Premiere Pro CS5 version 5.0.3 (that's what it shows on the purple ribbon as it is trying to load)

Installed recent updates?

Installed update 5.5.2 on 7-6-12 (did not fix problem)

I installed the update by opening Photoshop and going to Help>Updates

I could not see where to attach files to this post, so I uploaded them to my website and made links here:

DxDiag.txt is at http://bit.ly/M7pqb9

MSINFO32 file attached (there was no MSINFO64 on my system) is at http://bit.ly/NcSXxS

ProcessExplorer screen shot is at http://bit.ly/M7ph7A

HW Monitor screen shot is at http://bit.ly/LUXxkz

Kind of source footage?

none yet, PremPro won't open

Has this ever worked before?

This is the first time I have ever tried to use Premiere Pro. I never tried to open it until now.

I purchased the Creative Suite Extended last August from the Adobe store.

I have the actual disks, not just a download.

Photoshop 64-bit works fine (I did have problems loading Bridge a while back, but now Bridge works).

All of the other programs in the suite (After Effects, Flash Pro, Illustrator) work properly

What other software are you running?

See screenshot of Task Manager at http://bit.ly/Nea5TJ

Third party codecs?

I don't think so.

Using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration?

I don't think so.

Does the problem only happen with final output, with previews, or both?

The program doesn't open at all.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I see a bunch of stuff that should be removed from an edit rig entirely.

WinZip

CyberLink software

Kodak Share Button App

Logitech Webcam Software

ArcSoft software

Acronis True Image

iTunes

All Symantic software

Microsoft SeaPort Search Enhancement Broker or Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack or Bing Bar

Turn off Sharing in Windows Media Player

Snagit

Real Player

Unfortunately, some of those programs are so embedded that the best way to clean them out might well be to wipe your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch, from Windows on up.  And when you do, only install what you need to do your editing.  Use a second computer for everything else.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
            alpacajackie Level 1

Are you saying that Premiere Pro should be used on a dedicated computer? Is that what everyone else here is doing? Wow, I never heard that before.

I would think that a computer needs a zip program (WinZip), a backup program (Acronis), anitvirus (Symantec). Snagit is necessary for daily use for my purposes, as is the webcam.

If I need a separate computer just for Adobe Premiere Pro, I am sorely disappointed.

Does anyone else use Premiere Pro on the same computer they use for everything else?

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim's stance is maybe too strict, but the mess you have created is sizable. On a properly configured machine there should not be more than 40 - 50 processes active. You have way more, all stealing CPU cycles and memory and likely causing problems. Start by killing all Apple processes, including mDNSResponder, iTunes, and Jusched and a lot of similar worthless processes.

BTW, I commend you on the great way you have supplied relevant data to help you solve this issue. Wish more people would do that.

FWIIW, I also have Snagit, WinZip, WinRAR, Symantec EPP, OWA, Perfect Disk, and a lot of monitoring utilities installed on my system.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you saying that Premiere Pro should be used on a dedicated computer?

Yes, it should be.  Granted, it isn't always.  I have it running fine on my personal computer as well as my production rig.

But when a computer gets so full of unnecessary software like yours is, it can be very difficult to pin down errors.  Hence the suggestion for a clean System.

I would think that a computer needs a zip program (WinZip), a backup program (Acronis), anitvirus (Symantec).

Windows 7 comes with Zip functionality built-in.  You can also install the free 7 Zip, which will add further functionality but not take up any unnecessary resources.

Backup programs aren't necessary either.  You backup manually.

If you know what you're doing (and anyone using PP should know what they're doing), you won't need A/V software on your edit rig, which you use ONLY for editing.  Never for surfing, email, chat, games, etc.

If I need a separate computer just for Adobe Premiere Pro, I am sorely disappointed.

Again, you don't necessarily need that, but it is a very good idea and one you should work towards.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
                  alpacajackie Level 1

Jim, you said- "If you know what you're doing (and anyone using PP should know what they're doing"

Message received loud and clear. I'm obviously not professional enough to use this program, and I apologize for asking for assistance and wasting your time.

Harm, thanks for the compliment. I carefully read the guidelines for posting a problem, and tried hard to give you the information to help me. I may not be very tech savvy (to say the least!), but I am really good at following directions! :-) Unfortunately, I stepped on toes here with my ignorance, so I think it best to ask elsewhere for help.

Sorry for the intrusion.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm with Harm, in that I do have some extra "stuff," though much less on my workstation. However, as I do more than edit Video on it, such as heavy Photoshop work, graphic design, light Web design, and digital illustrations, there ARE many non-video apps., plug-ins, etc. No issues, but I do seldom run anything, but a few Adobe programs, when using Premiere.

Now, the laptop sees light Video editing, and does have more "stuff," like iTunes. However, I have trimmed most of the programs (like iTunes) down to their minimum, and do not allow updates, until I have done a System Restore Point, and have a few hours to clean "crap" off the system.

One thing that I would look into would be RealPlayer. I have not used that (refuse to let it in the same room, as one of my computers) in some years, but when I last had it installed, I typified it as being close to a virus, than to a video player. Back then, I could never uninstall 100% of it, and just did a wipe, low-level reformat, and total reinstall. It might be better now, but there are SO many better players, without the tentacles, that it has, or at least had.

Also, before I edit on the laptop, I shut down every unused utility, program, process, so that while they exist, and a few do load at bootup, they get shut down completely, when time comes to edit.

Good luck, and I also compliment you on your post. It could be used as a guideline on How to Post!

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes On Loading
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm obviously not professional enough to use this program

Well, ideally one would have at least a functional background in video production before using Premiere Pro, but with that comment, I did mean one should know what they're doing regarding computers.  It's not enough to be 'creative' these days.  You really do need to be above average computer literate if you want to run software at this level without difficulty.