10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 11:36 PM by Jim_Simon

Intensity Pro -- Red RAW Client Monitoring

conleec Level 1

A couple weeks ago I was working with 5k Red RAW files in PP CS6, monitoring my timeline with a Matrox MXO2 Mini Max. I was astounded at the speed and flexibility in this setup. My 5k footage was viewable on a client monitor from both my source and record monitor in PP CS6 and it played smooth as butter. Very impressive.

Unfortunately, my primary NLE is Avid Media Composer and the Matrox MXO2 Mini Max is currently suffering some playback issues in Avid MC, so I swapped it out for a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. The BM card works great in Media Composer and I'm extremely happy with it.

However, PP CS6 is quickly becoming my second editor (and my go to for certain types of projects -- primarily larger format files that I don't want to transcode: like RED.

The problem I'm having is that the things I thoroughly LOVED about PP CS6 and Red with the Matrox box don't seem to work with the BM Intensity Pro. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to get a video preview file out of the BM card is to select a 1080 or smaller sequence preset.

Is that true?

With the Matrox I could create a 5k sequence and still get perfect video monitoring from both the source AND record side. Now I feel hampered. I can set a 1080p sequence and get my record / timeline side to play to my client monitor, but the source side will not under this scenario.

Please somebody tell me I'm just missing a seting or something. I'm totally torn between having compromised editing in my PRIMARY editor with the Matrox or compromised editing in my favorite secondary editor PP CS6. I'd like to find the panacea and make them both work perfectly.

Chris Conlee

MacPro 4,1

24Gb RAM

OS X 10.7.4

GTX 285 (latest CUDA drivers)

(either Matrox MXO2 Mini or BM Intensity Pro)