4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 4:50 PM by DVDmike

Installing 3rd Party Plug-ins

DVDmike Level 1

When I install my third party plug-ins, they correctly (apparently) install into the correct location based on where my Adobe application resides.  I am on a windows 7 machine and I have installed Premiere Pro and AE CS6 onto my E:/ drive, NOT my C:? drive.  My C drive is an SSD and I don't have a ton of extra room there.

Premiere pro installs here:  E:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

When I install my 3rd party AEX style plug-ins they install here:

E:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS6\MediaCore

But Ppro CS6 cannot fine any of these plug ins.  I have have not been using CS6 because I could not use my plug-ins and I have been paying for a wasted subscription since day 1.

So today, I did some investigation and I copied everything in my E media core folder to here:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS6\MediaCore and viola, my plug ins are found by PPro.  So who has the bug here?  Is this an Adobe bug or the 3rd party plug-in people who's installers are all wrong?

• 1. Re: Installing 3rd Party Plug-ins
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This is the kind of thing you can expect when you don't install to the default C: drive.

Best advice...don't do that.  Get a larger C: drive if you need to.

• 2. Re: Installing 3rd Party Plug-ins
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You can try forcing the plug-in installers to install to this location:

E:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Plug-ins\en_US

Jeff

• 3. Re: Installing 3rd Party Plug-ins
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just how large is your SSD drive?

I don't use SSD, but my boot drive has Win7 64bit Pro + CS5 Master Collection + MS Office Pro + a couple dozen or so small program + the usual My Documents folder... and I only use about 60 Gig of space

I DO have my Windows swap/page file directed to another drive, and I also DO have my cache files directed to another drive... read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

If you need to know how to redirect your Windows page/swap file, search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Premiere Pro (and, I think, Encore) seem to have some locations hardwired into the program, so it is simply better to install to the C drive

• 4. Re: Installing 3rd Party Plug-ins
                DVDmike Level 1

Jim, if adobe required that the C drive always be used to install their software, they should put it on the requirements.  Otherwise, I expect it to work properly or their SDK should also state that plug-ins must always be in the OS drive.  Why is it too much to expect the program to look for plug-ins under the same drive as it lets you install the program to?

Buying new hardware is not necessary or helpful as I have already stated I found a workaround.  I posted this information in case anyone else needs to know what to do. 

The other two suggestions also provide some additional options for others with the same issue.

I have an 80GB SSD.  I still have all of my CS5 programs installed there.  Honestly, I am not sure that I will end up continuing with CS6 as it really does not provide me with any additional features that I have found myself taking advantage of so far.  This and the fact that my plug-in's were not working, have kept me using CS5 programs mostly to date.

I do have my scratch disk elsewhere.  I have tried to have other extra content files loaded elsewhere as well.  But so far, I have not been able to use the goodies under programs like Encore either.  so perhaps these might need to end up going to the C drive after I get to the bottom of that problem.