9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 10:39 PM by jamesg46111082

high disk usage/high memory usage.

phil 142 Level 1

i keep getting high memory usage and high disk usage in ps cs6.

its slow when i open a file. how can i solve this problem.

thank you.

philip.

• 1. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
          Noel Carboni Level 8

It's expected that Photoshop is going to use your system resources heavily, especially if you're working on large images.

Perhaps you can be a bit more specific about what you're seeing...

• What OS do you have?

• How large is the image?  What is the data depth (i.e., mode, 8 bits/channel or 16 bits/channel, etc.)?

• How much RAM do you have in your system?  How much are you allowing Photoshop to use in the Preferences - Performance dialog?

-Noel

• 2. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
            phil 142 Level 1

hello noel.

there tiff files which has lots of layers including 3d layers.

im working in 8 bit and the os is widows 7.

in the preferences dial box ive got it to the maximum ram.

when i open a tiff file which has many layers, it takes about 15 seconds to load before the image is visible.

then i get those mesages.

hope this helps.

• 3. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
              Curt Y Level 7

If you have all the resources dedicated to PS you will starve your computer and it will crash.  Depending on how much ram you have you need to dial that back to around 60% or leaave about 2 gig for the OS if you have lots of ram.

Also, Bridge has a problem with layered TIFF's as it is constantly re-indexing them.  You can turn this option off in edit/camera raw preferences.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                Noel Carboni Level 8

There's a known issue where sometimes things can be slow if you have the layer thumbnails visible (in the Layers panel).

But how big are your images?  How may pixels?  How many layers?  Rather than being vague, please be a little more specific.  An image that's 500 megabytes on disk isn't going to load quickly nor is it going to have a light memory footprint.  Photoshop accumulates undo steps in the History panel as you edit, so it's going to fill RAM then begin writing to its scratch file as you edit.

Things people do to make Photoshop run faster on their computers include getting more RAM, setting up more/faster disks, getting more powerful video cards, and even getting more powerful computer systems overall.

I'm not trying to pry, but with specific readings on what resources you have and how big images you're trying to work on I and others here could try to give you an idea if what you're seeing is typical and expected, or whether you have a specific problem to be solved.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                  phil 142 Level 1

thank you curt for your reply.

very much appreciated.

i will try those settings.

thanks

• 6. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                    phil 142 Level 1

hello noel.

my images are 3000x3000 ppi.

they do contain about 20/30 layers including 3d layers.

i do a lot of artwork for magazines and the sale of my images.

the video card is nvidia 320 gforce.

yes your quite correct that big files with multiple layes are not going to load quickly.

i was thinking about more ram and a better video card. would that help noel.

thanks.

• 7. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Not to put too fine a point on it, but more than what?  More RAM is almost always better, but you haven't answered most of the questions posed here.  The answer might be different if you have 2 GB of RAM or 32 GB of RAM already.  A 9 megapixel document could get rather large with a lot of layers, but again you've neglected to give any hard info about its size.

Regarding your video card, that's a bit of a judgment call you need to make.  For Photoshop CS6 I currently advise people to try to get a video card that gets a score of 1000 or better on this benchmark:  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Video card speed will matter when you're editing those 3D components and video card VRAM will also matter, but possibly even more importantly your GeForce 320 is a bit old, and nVidia may just not be doing their best driver work for it any more. 

Everything in general will run more smoothly with a powerful modern video card.  I like to recommend a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 7750 - or if the computer power supply and your budget allow, the even more powerful 7850.  VisionTek does a very good job with their hardware, IMO, and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. 

Keep in mind that if you switch from nVidia to ATI or vice versa, you should carefully sweep your system to ensure all files from the old card are removed, then visit the web site of the new card's maker and download/install their latest display driver release.

Best of luck.

-Noel

• 8. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                        phil 142 Level 1

thanks noel.

that was very helpful information regarding the video cards.

i glad you pointed me into the right direction as to what video cards i need.

thanks for your help and advice and also to curt.

thank you.

• 9. Re: high disk usage/high memory usage.
                          jamesg46111082

Hey, i see you are facing a lot of problem due to high disk usage of your system that many times leads to lagging.Well i have the solution to your problem i found this link on internet..really a helping article http://errorcodespro.com/tiworker-exe-high-disk-usage-windows/. At begining i thought it was because of hard drive failure but i applied the solution it worked very well. You can find your solution at the given system.