3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 8:22 AM by Noel Carboni

Best CPU for CS6

Neweycoop Level 1

What is considered the best processor for running CS6 on  Windows 7 64bit Pro.

Thanks in advance, NeilC

• 1. Re: Best CPU for CS6
          Noel Carboni Level 8

The fastest one with the most cores that you can afford, and as many of them as you can afford, supported by as much RAM and disk space/performance as you can afford.  And you'll want a good video card to go with that.

With an unlimited budget you could get a new Dell Precision T5600 with dual Xeon E5-2687W processors and it would likely kick the butt of any other computer on the planet right now running Photoshop.

I like looking over the benchmark results here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

-Noel

• 2. Re: Best CPU for CS6
            Neweycoop Level 1

Thanks Noel - we'd all love to be able to have the best but I should have mentioned that sadly my budget won't allow that sort of 'shell out'!

I don't work on huge files but need PS to run smoothly and quickly especially when making adjustments in camera raw.

I'm having a system built to order and have been considering an i5 2500K Quad Core or the Ivy Bridge i5 3550.

Not sure which would suit PS best.

Regards, NeilC

• 3. Re: Best CPU for CS6
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Either of the processors you mentioned will do a fine job.  The very latest generation tend to get more work done more quickly in a given core, so likely the 3550 is likely to be a little better.  Higher numbers on the benchmark site above are better, and I've come to think that you really do get what you pay for with microprocessors.  There's almost a perfect parity between performance and price.

But if you have to trade financially for more RAM vs. more processor speed, opt for the RAM.  I strongly recommend shelling out the additional $$$ for ECC RAM.

And as I mentioned, the video card will have a lot to do with helping you achieve fluid operation as well.  Shoot for something that rates 2000+ for "future proofness" on the video card benchmark site I mentioned above.

-Noel