Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and Replace with User Defined Variable

Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of converting some legacy help content to RoboHelp HTML 9 in order to give it some more features and customization for our clients. I have been taking advantage of User Defined Variables in order to customize the content. Up to this point I have been manually going through each topic and replacing each instance of a word ("statements" for example) with a user defined variable saying the same thing but with the possibility of being changed later should the customer want to. Though we only have about 200 topics, this is still relatively time-consuming and I would like to automate this as much as possible.

Is there any way to find and replace content with a User Defined Variable?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you open the Script Explorer pod I believe one of the sample scripts is a "UDV Converter" script. Perhaps you could give that a try.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the script mentioned previously does not work you could try:

Inserting a new variable into a topic.

Copying the code RH inserted in the HTML and using a find and replace tool such as FAR to replace the Word to be changed with the code. Each instance can then be easily found and replaced.

Be wary though as if the name of the variable to be changed appears in links or images etc then these will also be changed. Best to check each instance and replace if happy rather thasn run Replace ALL option.

Regards,

Dom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp