• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subdomain Setup Not Working

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I am a fairly experienced web designer and have worked with a number of CMS systems before. However, I'm relatively new to using Business Catalyst and still trying to fill in the gaps by searching forums and whatnot.

I have added a Hostname (A Record) to my domain settings within the BC admin panel. To test it, I specified one of the already live pages as the start page. However, two hours later the subdomain cannot be found. The instructions were very simple and I followed them exactly. Is there some other reason why a subdomain wouldn't work?

Thank you,

Colin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Hi there,

Your domain is not delegated to us and it has two A-records, none of which is pointing to us - http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=newvybe.com&type=A&submit=Resolve

Your subdomain is neither an A-record nor CNAME - http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=mixes.newvybe.com&type=A&submit=Resolve

You have two options:

- Create a CNAME or an A-record for mixes.newvybe.com and add it as a domain name to BC.

- Delegate newvybe.com to us and then create a CNAME for mixes.ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know your subdomains should work fine. They can however take as long as 24 hours (but not usually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fast response Mark. Yes I'm rather confused by this. I took a small screenshot of the line under my domain settings. The subdomain - http://mixes.newvybe.com/ has a 'Start Page' of /About, which is http://newvybe.com/about. However, nothing appears at that subdomain URL.

screenshot.PNG

I will wait 24 hours to see if anything changes. If it's still not up then does anyone have suggestions of what I should do? There seems to be no cases of this occurring elsewhere online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Your domain is not delegated to us and it has two A-records, none of which is pointing to us - http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=newvybe.com&type=A&submit=Resolve

Your subdomain is neither an A-record nor CNAME - http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=mixes.newvybe.com&type=A&submit=Resolve

You have two options:

- Create a CNAME or an A-record for mixes.newvybe.com and add it as a domain name to BC.

- Delegate newvybe.com to us and then create a CNAME for mixes.newvybe.com on your BC site.

Cheers,

-mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mario. I've been looking into this more. I'm newer to this group so still trying to figure out where all their tech stuff lies.

As far as your comment about creating specific type of records, no matter which option I click in the right-hand column (Create domain, CNAME, A-Record, etc.) the result ends up in the top Domain box. So even though I created the subdomain using the A-Record / Hostname option, it appears for me along with the domain. Is this because it isn't delegated to BC?

It appears as though there domain is being routed through CloudFlare since we are using one of their site speed optimization services. Is there anyway for us to administer a subdomain with BC without sending it to your nameservers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

The About page seems to be working now - http://newvybe.com/about

If you want to have the DNS service hosted outside BC (to CloudFlare) you can skip the redelegation part and only create the subdomain like so:

http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/kb/domain-name-dns---quick.html#id_42647

As your site is hosted on the US datacenter, in your external DNS service you will need to add the IP address 192.150.2.140

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't the about page that was an issue. It was the subdomain going to that page.

I ended up using a different solution for this. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue to this. I have changed my domain name to be UK as that is where we are based however the IP from dnswatch is US, could this be a reason that both cname and a record do not work in creating a subdomain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

That shouldn't be a problem. Please explain what exactly you're doing, which A-records you're creating etc. so that we can get a better idea of it and perhaps make some suggestions.

Cheers,

-mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mario

Have currently set up like this:

A-Record

blog.quarsh.com  points to  Start Page - Quarsh Blog   UNITED KINGDOM   English (United Kingdom)   This Service

Have also tried adding:

CNAME

blog.quarsh.com  points to  quarsh.com

Thanks for your help

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

The problem here is that your DNS is not hosted with us:

http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=quarsh.com&type=A&submit=Resolve

Which means that any record you create on your site will be created in our DNS, but it wont have any effect since your DNS is with ns.123-reg.co.uk

Cheers,

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mario. I learn something every day! I did not set up the site so was not sure if the name had been transferred prior to me starting here. Would you recommend a transfer across to BC? They don't charge Im told but would be apprehensive about transferring a live site I could just buy the subdomains from 123-reg which should be straightforward enough but then how would I go about pointing an internal part of BC?

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Matt,

If you need subdomains you have two options:

- Leave DNS where it is create an A-record for blog.quarsh.com and point it to an IP address 192.150.8.140. Then in BC interface simply add that subdomain to the site as if you're adding an actual external domain name.

- The other option is to redelegate the domain to BC's DNS servers ns1.worldsecuresystems.com and ns2.worldsecuresystems.com and setup the subdomains in your site's admin.

Cheers,

-mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌My question is. Can I add a sub-domain only for one of my seperate Muse site projects that is already running under a BC sub-domain?

Muse site project A --> Main Domain

Muse site project B --> Sub Domain

How do I add my own sub-domain for my Muse site project B?

(preferably without deleting the site project B from BC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yorh.ekin‌ did you ever find a solution for this as I'll looking to do a similar thing (One primary domain name - several BC sites accessed via sub-domains of the primary domain).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a Muse site project for each individual sub-domain you want to use.

I have three Muse site projects.

www.yorhekin.com

portfolio.yorhekin.com

mailings.yorhekin.com

I am using the DNS service of BC.

1. First you need to remove all DNS sub-domain entries from the main domain (in my case yorhekin.com)

2. Second you create a separate site project in Muse and upload the site to BC using another temporary domain your-sub-domain.businesscatalyst.com

3. You upload the files to BC using your-sub-domain.businesscatalyst.com

4. You log-in to BC and create a sub-domain entry under Site Domains > More Actions > New Advanced DNS Record

5. Create a sub-domain using the Record Type "TXT"

That should do the job but that only works as described if you use the DNS service of BC.

PS: I took my hours to find out how that works. I have now a chaos of several BC site projects

under my account and I could not create an email address because of internal email sync problems

between CC and BC. With my former hosting package, I do this in five minutes instead of

spending an entire day for this rather SIMPLE TASK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines