4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 6:56 PM by John T Smith

Should 2GB Video Files be Combined into Full-Length Larger Files Before Editing in PP CS 5.5?

Shameless008

I shoot with a Canon Vixia HF S21.

It creates AVCHD files on the came, and when I transfer them off the camera, longer takes come off in 2GB segments.

Sometimes I have long takes, 30-60 minutes for example, and one take will be 4-8 2GB files.

The Canon export utility software will automatically combine these files into a larger complete single file of the single take.

I am wondering if this is a good idea or a bad idea to combine these files with the Canon Utility, and edit in PP CS5.5 using the single, larger 8-12GB raw source video file?

What I like about letting the Canon combine the files, is I know I won't make any mistakes in "splicing" the files together.

What I don't like is now I have added double the amount of raw video storage space I am using up on my system.

Perhaps it doesn't matter whether I use the single larger combined file vs. the individual 2GB files... I just don't know.

Is there any downside to using the larger file?

Is it better to use the smaller files?