3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 10:09 AM by r_tist

font question...

r_tist Level 1

Hi,

Are Mac based fonts compatible with PC for InDesign?

Seems not. When I receive them, the icons are completely blank with no data attached by the looks of it.

I know the ones with "._name of font" definitely aren't, but there were duplicates that did not have that syntax, and those were 'corrupt' in the sense that they lacked a file extension, lacked data, and could not be opened.

Please fill me in as I get these from clients from time to time.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: font question...
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mac TrueType and Type 1 fonts will not work on Windows.

There’s nothing else to say except that OpenType has been around for more than 12 years and should be used exclusively in a crossplatform workflow.

Bob

• 2. Re: font question...
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Mac format TrueType and Type 1 fonts are useless on PC, but they are becoming more of a rarity these days. Almost all font vendors are now distributing OpenType, which is a cross-platform format, or Windows TrueType, whcih also works on OS X.

You'll recognize Mac format fonts on a PC by the 0 k file size. That's the data fork, which windows sees, but for reasons nobody seems to remember Mac forma fonts put the actual font data in the resource fork, which Windows does not use.

• 3. Re: font question...
              r_tist Level 1

Thank you for solidifying my thoughts with your post. Wanted to be sure! Good info.