5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 5:53 PM by markhubert

FCP Refugee Help - Multicam

markhubert

Hi - I've been searching to find the answers to two questions regarding multicam editing.

1. Is it possible to make angle switching cuts faster than real-time playback. Ideally I'd like to scrub through my project and cut back and forth between cameras. The product is a low revenue event and it needs to be cut quickly.

2. Audio. How do I get access to all 8 tracks (two P2 camera with 4 each)

I've created the multicam sequence and have activated all the tracks. Then when I make sequnce from clip in order to multicam edit, it's reduced to one.

If there's information resources online that my searches missed, I'm happy to do my own reading if someone can recommend a link.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FCP Refugee Help - Multicam
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1.  Scrub though at your own pace.  When you hit an edit point, CTRL+Click the angle you want to switch to.

2.  Do all your multicam cuts.  Then replace the multicam audio with the original by nesting a second time and deleting the second video.

• 2. Re: FCP Refugee Help - Multicam
            ExactImage Level 3

1. Is it possible to make angle switching cuts faster than real-time playback. Ideally I'd like to scrub through my project and cut back and forth between cameras. The product is a low revenue event and it needs to be cut quickly.

Absolutely!  Just press L more than once and it will go 2x, 4x speed etc.   You can also drag the time indicator manually to anywhere you want and make a cut.

2. Audio. How do I get access to all 8 tracks (two P2 camera with 4 each)

I've created the multicam sequence and have activated all the tracks. Then when I make sequnce from clip in order to multicam edit, it's reduced to one.

What I typically do is unlink the audio from the muticam video and delete it.   Then, I go to the source sequence (the one you created the multicam from), holding the ALT key down use the mouse (drag a lasso) to select all the audio clips then copy them (Ctrl C (PC) / Cmd C(Mac)) and drop them (paste) on to the multicam sequence (Cntrl V / Cmd V) under the video.   Make sure to have your time indicator at the start before you paste them and all should be perfectly in sync.

Now you have your multicam video edit and all the audio clips present to edit as required.

• 3. Re: FCP Refugee Help - Multicam
              ExactImage Level 3

Damn, Jim sorta beat me to it!

BTW - I changed the shortcut keys back to 1,2,3,4 instead of needing the modifier key to cut.

I do that a lot.  Why would I want to hit Alt [ instead of just [ to set the start of the work area?   Doh!

• 4. Re: FCP Refugee Help - Multicam
                benwinter Level 2

While we're on the subject, is there a way to display the multi-camera monitor on the preview screen? When I have it open, it still only outputs the single active camera view to my external monitor. I'd like to throw all four up at once for a client.

• 5. Re: FCP Refugee Help - Multicam
                  markhubert Level 1

Thank you... I had a sneaking feeling it was right under my nose.... 

So far I'm finding PpCS6 the most similiar to FCP7. In my tour of 64bit NLEs:

FCPx - don't get me started...

MC6 - What a pain in the ***. I know it can do everything I want, but man.... I now know why FCP7 was kicking it's ***....  (For the Avidheads, love ya, but I know.... Just map the commands to the keys...) no. clunky and cumbersome to work with.

Now that I've got the basic info to get flying, I'm looking forward to taking a project to completion in CS6 and seeing how it goes.

Thanks for the support.

Mark