3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 9:45 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign remembering previous links

_S_KEMP_ Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible that an InDesign document could still be "remembering" a previous linked file even though the linked file has been deleted from the document?

And when the InDesign file is reopened, it looks for the link even though it no longer exists in the document!

Thanks,

Simon.

• 1. Re: InDesign remembering previous links
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not supposed to happen, but...

Export to .idml should fix that, if it is. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 2. Re: InDesign remembering previous links
            _S_KEMP_ Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I  work for a Newspaper in the UK and we use a Advert Tracking system that holds the InDesign documents for each advert we produce. An individual InDesign file can be copied over and over, week after week with minor changed each week.

We have noticed a slow down of of the system opening InDesign files and the supplier of the Ad Tracking software say this is down to InDesign trying to locate linked files (XLS, txt) that are not actually used in the InDesign file.

I have used Microsofts ProcMon to check this I can confirm that InDesign tries to locate files that were used in the document 5 or 6 versions back.

I know I can export to IDML and re-open to resolve this but this is not practical through the system we use.

I thought that doing a "Save As" might cure the issue but it doesn't.

ProcMon shows that the total duration that InDesign is looking for old links is negligable compared with the time InDesign spends performing other action when opening file but the supplier is blaming InDesign looking for long gone files for the slowness of the system, I would like to have proved them wrong but unfortunately I can't.

Thanks anyway.

Simon.

• 3. Re: InDesign remembering previous links
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

_S_KEMP_ wrote:

Thanks Peter,

An individual InDesign file can be copied over and over, week after week with minor changed each week.

This is a recipe for trouble. Ultimately almost any file can be damaged by continual editing, even ID files which are about as stable as you'll find in the page layout arena. Better to work from a template and save a new version direct from that each time.

Accumulated crud and corruption can still sometimes be fixed following the proceedure outlined in that link.