24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 4:16 PM by Curt Y

Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?

Ashtree25

I've just installed Photoshop CS6 (64bit).  I cannot launch Adobe Bridge - I get the message "Waiting for Bridge CS6....." and it won't progress beyond this point.  Has anyone got any idea what I can do?  I've rebooted the PC, but still the same.

• 1. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Update Bridge and Photoshop to the 6.0.1 and 13.0.1 versions. This is a known issue where Briodge wrongly wants admin permissions.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
            Ashtree25 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium.  Not sure how to do this, but will have a look

• 3. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
              Ashtree25 Level 1

OK, so I opened Photoshop and found 'updates' uner the help menu and installed all available.  There wasn't an update for Bridge so I can only assume I've got the latest version?  I can't see anywhere under properties which version it is!

And anyway, it's made no difference whatsoever.  Still can't launch Bridge.  I've just paid £600 for this software and it has a 'known issue' which prevents it from working.  What the hell is all that about?

• 4. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ashtree,

We are fellow users here, attitudes are not helpful. People will try to help.

• 5. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                  Ashtree25 Level 1

MichaelKazlow, I apologise if you misinterpreted my remark as attitude to fellow users, which is absolutely not what was intended!  You will see that I very quickly thanked Mylenium for his help and I am extremely grateful to users volunteering their help here.  However, that does not stop my frustration with the software (NOT with fellow users ).  I think it is reasonable to be miffed that something at this price is faulty. 

Again, I'm sorry if you read this as me being miffed with people who were trying to help me.  Of course not, I'm very grateful.

• 6. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                    Dentrassi42

Hi Ashtree,

I've just had the same problem but managed to fix it by doing the following:

1) Close all Adobe products

2) Find the Switchboard folder, in Windows 7 : (C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Switchboard) and either deleting it or, as I did, renaming it to fool PS that it was gone

3) Re-starting my PC

This method was found in a CS5 Issue:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error-waiting-for-bridge-cs5.html

Works perfectly for me.

Hope that helps.

• 7. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                      Ashtree25 Level 1

Hi Eggsarnium

Thanks for the tip.  I got very excited thinking I'd got the solution at last - I went through all the steps as you detailed, then opened PS, tried to launch Bridge ..... and it hadn't worked for me .  But I'm going to go through the other solutions provided in the link you gave me, so hopefully one of them will work.

Incidentally, like you, I just renamed the switchboard folder (to 'NoSwitchboard') rather than deleting it as advised by Adobe.  Maybe I'll take the plunge and delete it....  After all, I can always uninstall everything and reinstall to restore it if it goes disastrously wrong...... can't I?

OK, Update:  I found that although I'd renamed the Switchboard folder to NoSwitchboard, what had happened was that it created a NEW folder with that name, retaining the original Switchboard folder too.  So I deleted the original Switchboard folder..... but it still didn't work .  I also went to the path: C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\CommonFiles\Adobe\Switchboard\Switchboard.exe and changed that folder.  What happened then was when I tried to launch Bridge I got a message saying "Cannot launch Bridge because the extension file is missing" (or something like that).  So I changed that back.  Hmmm. 

• 8. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                        Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

• 9. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                          Ashtree25 Level 1

OK Jeff.  I take it you're thinking that more people will see it here?

• 10. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                            Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Yes and this seems to be a topic more related to Photoshop and Bridge launching successfully as opposed to an installation issue.

• 11. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                              Curt Y Level 7

Ashtree25 wrote:

I've just installed Photoshop CS6 (64bit).  I cannot launch Adobe Bridge - I get the message "Waiting for Bridge CS6....." and it won't progress beyond this point.  Has anyone got any idea what I can do?  I've rebooted the PC, but still the same.

This is the message in launching mini-bridge.  Is that what you are asking?

If so do you have big Bridge running first?

• 12. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                Ashtree25 Level 1

Hi Curt

Yes, sorry, that is the message I get when trying to launch mini-bridge.  But I can't open Bridge in any way at all - I can't 'Browse in Bridge' (nothing happens when I select this); I can't 'Browse in mini-Bridge' (as mentioned); I can't open Bridge independently of Photoshop (I get the rotating circle for a few seconds, then nothing).  So no, I don't have Bridge running first, because I can't get it to run at all! .

• 13. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                  Tim Repp Level 1

I had the same problem and after four hours with Adobe and Norton staff (tyring to disable the firewall, to no avail), determined that you have to create a new account administrator (Win 7-> Control Panel). Under the new administrator, I can run Bridge, but not under my old one. That means something attributable to "permissions" is corrupted in Windows that would be awfully hard to trace or correct.

So now I'm forced to migrate everything I own over to the new identity (wallpaper, icons, my documents, desktop icons, et al), ensure all other software is operative, then delete my old adminstrator account.

Hard to imagine a little program like Bridge would be so problematic. Perhaps Adobe will address the issue real soon.

• 14. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                    Ashtree25 Level 1

Thanks for that Tim.  But do you know, it sounds like such an enormous task migrating everything and checking other software and so on, I'm not sure I feel like putting myself through it!!!   In the meantime I've grown used to using CS2 Bridge - not the same, I know, because I have to toggle between the two, which isn't as good as having everything showing in the mini-bridge panel at the bottom.  Still, this semi-solution seems preferable to me at the moment than going through the trauma of setting up a new administrator .  I'll keep my fingers crossed that Adobe come up with a solution.

I have to say, of course, that I'm pretty miffed about this as the software is so expensive - I'd deliberated for a long time before spending the money and I feel incredibly let down by Adobe.  I don't honestly know how they sleep at night.

• 15. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                      Level 5

Mylenium wrote:

Update Bridge and Photoshop to the 6.0.1 and 13.0.1 versions…

Is there really a Photoshop 13.0.1 version out there already ?  (And your post is over two weeks old already! )

Is it Windows only?

Puzzled. 

?

• 16. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

No 13.0.1 for mere mortals yet.  Let's hope it will be soon.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                          Tim Repp Level 1

I agree. I've been very happy with PhotoShop and Bridge versions CS2 and I very disappointed that for the money, Bridge CS6 won't work. I'm not inclined to switch administrators just yet--too much hassle. I think I'll just wait and hope Adobe uncomplicates things. Sometimes software is very inflexible--needlessly so.

• 18. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                            MyName LOL!

I have the newest update but still can't open Bridge. :-(

• 19. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                              Tim Repp Level 1

A few options:

1. Last week, Adobe released a software update for Bridge, V 5.0.1.21 x 64 (if you have 64-bit Win 7). This might help. I already fixed my issues, so this was transparent to me. Go the Help-->Updates in Bridge.

2. Uninstall older versions of Bridge, then reload PhotoShop CS6. The older Bridge somehow competes with the newer one. After all the trouble I had on my desktop, I first uninstalled Bridge 1.0 on my laptop, then loaded PS CS6. Everything worked fine.

3. Another quicker fix (which I found elsewhere on the Web) is to create an empty  "Bridge CS2" folder inside the  C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\ folder. Don't know why it works, but it did for me.

One problem persists for Win users: you cannot "associate" photo files (JPGs, TIFFs, PSDs) to Bridge; you must launch Bridge first. You also have to manually initialize "associate" files (right click-->open with:___) displayed in Bridge to launch PhotoShop instead of Windows Photo Viewer, which doesn't do much and can't process *.CR2s.

• 20. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Tim Repp wrote:

...Windows Photo Viewer, which doesn't do much and can't process *.CR2s.

Actually it can, but you need a bit more software.  I use the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack and it understands most image formats - including raw files.

For example:

FPVCodecPackFeedsPhotoViewer.jpg

-Noel

• 21. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                                  Tim Repp Level 1

Thanks for the advice--nice to have! I downloaded the Microsoft version (which is free) and now I can view CR2s in Windows Explorer, including rotation.

• 22. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                                    dtb66ab

This worked for me (on Mac). Start Adobe Bridge CS6. Go to Preferences. Select Startup Scripts. You may have all checked (enabled). Just Disable All. Click OK. Enable All. Click OK. Quit Bridge. Restart PS.

Dan

• 23. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                                      Ashtree25 Level 1

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this thread.  I have now found the solution - one of Adobe's updates did the trick, so now I'm firing on all cylinders!  I apologise for not having visited this thread to notify this, but I had reported this problem on a few threads and couldn't remember which.

Thanks again

• 24. Re: Why won't Bridge CS6 launch?
                                                        Curt Y Level 7

Tim Repp wrote:

3. Another quicker fix (which I found elsewhere on the Web) is to create an empty  "Bridge CS2" folder inside the  C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\ folder. Don't know why it works, but it did for me.

One problem persists for Win users: you cannot "associate" photo files (JPGs, TIFFs, PSDs) to Bridge; you must launch Bridge first. You also have to manually initialize "associate" files (right click-->open with:___) displayed in Bridge to launch PhotoShop instead of Windows Photo Viewer, which doesn't do much and can't process *.CR2s.

You may be on to something with the CS2 folder.  In the Bridge Forum some users in both Mac and Win find eliminating CS2 solved the CS6 problems.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4854537?tstart=0#4854537   Look at threads 10-end.

Also, if you delete a previous version of PS you can foul up the registry so the file associations to not work, even if reassigned in Bridge file type associations.