8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 1:10 PM by Steve Grisetti

Burning 45 minute Video on Mac

artanddecco

(1) I use a Mac, and burned a 45 minute video from Timeline, (it was not rendered) and it tookapprox 10 hours to burn. I use Verbatim X16 Discs. I need to burn further videos of similar length and need to speed up the process. On the one I am working on now, I have rendered it first. If I burn directly from Timeline on my internal iDVD, will it take just as long to burn ?

(2) I have saved this file as a mpeg2 file on the computer, in your discussions you mentioned using ImgBurn software, but as far as I can tell, it will not work on a Mac.

If I were to use a different software for burning, would it be faster than burning direct from Timeline, and would it use the PE Disc Menu and Chapter Menu Markers.

I look forward to your suggestions.

• 1. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to provide hardware and video details

Such as what is discussed at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

• 2. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you want to use ImBurn to create your discs, you will need to provide it a VIDEO_TS folder, not an MPEG. You can create one of these by going to Share/Disc and selecting the option to Burn to a Folder on your hard drive.

But that's if a Mac version of ImgBurn is available. Though it ultimately doesn't matter. MacOS has the ability to burn a disc built into its operating system.

Though neither of these is likely to reduce the time its taking you to burn a disc -- since the actual burning part of a DVD only takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on how long your movie is.

Most likely what the program took 10 hours to do was transcode your video to DVD files. And that's pretty excessive, if you're using a good video source and your project is set up correctly.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

Premiere Elements should be able to transcode standard definition camcorder video to a DVD in about twice the running time of the video.

If you're working with hi-def video, that time could be increased considerably. And, if you're using video from a phone or some other non-camcorder source that's not directly supported by the program, it can take hours.

• 3. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
              artanddecco Level 1

Hi Steve,

The video came from a Hard Drive in mpeg2 formula. It is 8mm Cine 

film converted. The frames per second varied from casette to casette  

8 to 16, so additional frames were inserted to bring it up to 25 fps. 

I think I set the Project up as PAL HDV 1080i.  If this is incorrect, 

could you tell me the settings I should have used.

John

• 4. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac

Yes, those are indeed the kind of issues that can slow down transcoding time significantly!

You're asking Premiere Elements to work with a codec it's not designed to work with (Cinefilm), uprender frame rates AND downconvert the video from hi-def to standard def DVD.

I'm not sure what to advise you. Premiere Elements is definitely not the program you should be working with if this is your source video. But, unless it's available to get your source video in a format that's more conducive to a consumer video editor, I'm not sure what to recommend you do to improve things other than recommend you use a different -- maybe a professional -- editing program.

Or, I suppose, if you're happy with the way your final DVD looks, you can continue to use Premiere Elements and just live with the fact that your DVDs are going to take all night to render.

Sorry. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

• 5. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

What does PrE show as the Frame Size for that telecined material? You should be able to get that in Project Panel, and might need to use Interpret Footage, if File Info does not show it all. I do not know if either G-Spot, or MediaInfo (two very good and popular file info utilities) are ported for the Mac. Their Web sites will either verify, or disprove my suspicions. I also do not specificaly know of a file info utility for the Mac, but there must be many.

As you are coming from SD material (8mm film), I would be surprised that the telecine company would have delivered an HD file (1920 x 1080), but it surprises me that they chose a heavily-compressed format/CODEC, like MPEG-2, in the first place. The telecine work that I have had done came back to me on an SD miniDV tape, that I just popped into my Canon ZR-60, and did a Capture to DV-AVI (I am on a PC).

If you are mixing FPS, and also perhaps down-rezzing from HD to SD, then your Transcoding times WILL go way up.

As mentioned above, the physical writing is but a tiny part of the total processing time to go to DVD-Video (also using another MPEG-2 compression).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
                    artanddecco Level 1

Steve,

I am really confused by your reply, as when I made enquiries in 

February, as to the correct codec for 8mm Cine Film Conversion, you 

replied as follows :-

Cine is providing you an editable hi-def video, the ideal format is a 

Main Concept MPEG at 1440x1080 anamorphic 25i. This type of video 

will edit perfectly in a project set up for HDV editing. (1440x1080 

anamorphic video produces the same 16:9 as 1920x1080 square pixel 

video.)

As an alternative, they can provide a 1920x1080 25i as AVCHD -- but 

they MUST use the Sony AVC codec or you're going to have problems. 

This type of video can be edited in a project set up for Full AVCHD.

Insist on either of these specs precisely! Close isn't good enough. 

You'll know they got it right because, when you set up the project 

using the settings I discussed above, you'll have no red lines above 

the clips when you add them to the timeline.

Remember, they work for you. Do not accept anything except what you 

need, and don't let them tell you that what they're giving you is 

good enough or, worse, that it's BETTER.

Consequently, I instructed the Cine Converters to give me mpeg.

To be fair, it does work, but its the time to burn a DVD that is 

driving me to despair.

I am a convert from iMovie, as I was told that Premier Elements had 

many advantages.  From what you say, I am simply going to have to 

continue to burn all night and for many nights to come, I just hope 

my DVD Burner does not throw in the towel !

John

• 7. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac
                      artanddecco Level 1

Hi Bill,

It seems the so called experts that have been advising me have been 

giving me all the wrong information, I expected that all I needed was 

the cine put on Mini DV Tapes, and download to the computer from my 

HD Canon Camera. how simple it would have been, but now I am stuck 

with the mpeg2 files on the Hard Drive.

Regards

John

• 8. Re: Burning 45 minute Video on Mac

Yes, you should have no problems editing HDV video set up as 1440x1080 anamorphic video, John -- at least if your project is properly set up for that type of video. Which project settings did you use?

My confusion is that you keep refeerring to your video as Cine film converted, which I interpretted as meaning that your video was using the Cine codec, which would be a problem. From now on, let's just refer to it as HDV, okay? Just so we know what we're dealing with.

So, if you are using the correct project specs in Premiere Elements (and you'll know because there will NOT be red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline), you are using the most efficient workflow.

Is that the case?