6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 12:53 PM by gresh

Director 12

Steveorevo
      So does anyone know, heard, or have any guesstimates as to when we'll see Director 12!? I'd love to see a version of Director that has full features like HLSL in DirectX9, etc. Maybe by the time DirectX12 hits the market too!?
        • 1. Director 12
          Brian Stew Level 2
          Whether there ever will be any "Director 12" would depend on the success of Director 11; that would be reasonable.
          Director have had a strong holding all over the world as the 'Industry standard' tool, and it makes sense to target existing users who are loyal and eagerly waiting for an upgrade of a tool they already know how to use.
          The current situation is that the Director 11 upgrade can only be bought by US residents. This is a decision made by Adobe, but they haven't offered any explanation or alternative.
          Only brand new licences can be bought outside the US. I have bought every upgrade of Director since D5. Is it fair that I must invest in a new licence? I don't feel it's right, and so I'm sitting on the fence, frustrated. Given the mentioned 'stronghold' all over the world, quite a few must be in my situation.
          No apparent marketing is done by Adobe to attract new users, so who are these new licences for?
          From my point of view it seems Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot here, heavily. Of course, Director sales would probably not amount to even 1% of the organisation's total sales even if well marketed, but that doesn't justify treating loyal users badly. I can already hear the argument: "sales of D11 were so low, we can not defend spending more on developing a new version..."
          WTF Adobe
          • 2. Re: Director 12
            AlinaX Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: mikromidas
            Director sales would probably not amount to even 1% of the organisation's total sales even if well marketed, but that doesn't justify treating loyal users badly. I can already hear the argument: "sales of D11 were so low, we can not defend spending more on developing a new version..."
            WTF Adobe

A possible perspective.
            Who's fault?

• 3. Director 12
              Brian Stew Level 2
              There are many apps in Adobe's portifolio that I would guess never earns more than 1% of the total sale. Simply because it takes some, to compete with Photoshop and Flash. To merit a place, these 'smaller' apps must either be strategically important (for instance sound editor Audition; necessary so that Adobe can argue they indeed have a 'roundtrip' multimedia solution - but the sales isolated are not big by Adobe's standards I'm sure), or somehow earn their place by being cheap to develop while having a high price to market. Director falls into the latter, for the most part. Today I can hardly see Director having much strategic importance for Adobe, so there will be no funding; it simply must live by itself. Director sales must of course be big enough to pay for the Bangalore development team + some more. I think that’s fair enough; even brilliant software must go it it somehow doesn’t meet any real demand.
              But it is well known that it costs money to earn money. Marketing is needed. Marketing is expensive, but with no marketing there will be very few sales. Marketing is not only advertising, it is making the product available for the right people. Boasting Unicode support, which is mostly relevant for developers outside America (and most of western Europe / english speaking countries), while blocking the possibility for these to actually buy the upgrade, is self contradicting ‘marketing’ for sure. I am sure any lack of funding for marketing D11 will hurt sales which would recap that funding (and more) later on. Makes no sense. So who’s to blame if D11 flops? It should be given a fair chance first at least. Tell peaple about it! Make it available!!
              • 4. Re: Director 12
                Chunick Level 3
                I don't know about you but I'm wondering about Di 13... I'm expecting it to have all the features I'm waiting for including more advanced imaging lingo, image support in text members, full reworking of MUS, OS Controls, etc.

:-P

A little bit of focus here, people. Director 11 just came out and if the person/people at Adobe are not completely clueless the next thing you'll see out after Di 11 is a patch or three before Di 12 is even considered.
                • 5. Re: Director 12
                  Steveorevo Level 1
                  Wow, I didn't know that you havae to buy a full lic. outside the US? Can anyone verify this? If thats true, then it sounds like Director is pretty much dead.

Given that, what are the barebone features that you would look for in a Di alternative?

What key features make Director a must have? I personally like the score, cast, drag n' drop the ability to puppet items vs. having the score take over. No other IDE has that (Dreamweaver's timeline was nice effort, but a failure). Definately the timeline functionality as well as ink effects, and the way the stage/threading model is used to repaint the screen dynamically begin/enter/exit frame hooks.

Perhaps another favorite IDE could tack on these features an make transition to another IDE less painful? Eclipse w/Java? RealBasic?

It seems like Flash could have been the alternative, but lets face it, as a Director developer and seasoned Flash developer, Macrodobe has just been riding the original FutureSplash interface far too long. Its crap when compared to the layout and code abilities of Director. A better Flash IDE from scratch perhaps?

I'd like to hear ideas...
                  • 6. Director 12
                    gresh
                    Upgrades to D11 are only available as a downloadable file through the Adobe site.
                    I purchased the D11 upgrade without problems, and I live in New Zealand.
                    It doesn't matter where you live, but the price will vary depending on which country you are from.