8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 7:39 PM by davidorthfurniture

2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips

LNPato Level 1

I have 2 issues right now working on Premiere Elements 9...

I clicked something or hit something on my keyboard, that doesn't let the "work area" expand as I add clips to the timeline.

Normally, the 2 gray bookends/parenthesis/whatever you would call them in the time area of the timeline, would move and be at the start & end of the clips I lay in the timeline, but now, I have to double click on the center (see image below, small red circle) to get them to get to the start & end. It is an annoyance, as everytime I hit enter to render, it only renders this work area, and not the whole project in the timeline...so I have to double click here, then re-render. Also, there is a gray area that is shaded to the right of the work area & I don't know why (see larger circled area).

Any help? I can't find anything in the settings to set these to automatically move with my project, and I've never seen that gray area.

Second question, unrelated, is about copying & pasting clips...I made a long video, but decided to cut it in half to make 2 shorter videos...so I tried to drag/highlight half of the clips & titles, tried copy and cut several times, then I tried to open a new project and paste them, but there is no option to paste...it's as if it never cut/copied to begin with (I tried clicking Edit > Copy/Cut as well as the ctrl + C/X options on the keyboard...same with pasting). Is there no way to copy & paste clips outside the project you are working in?

preimere.jpg

• 1. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To Reset Corrupted Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 2. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Once the WAB (Work Area Bar) has been set by the user, the function to automatically expand it, as Clips are added, will not be present.

At the point that you are adding Clips, just ignore it. When you are done, "extending" the Timeline, then hit the \ key (Backslash), to zoom the Timeline out, to show the entire Timeline. Now, look at the WAB, and you will see a little "box" right in the middle. Dbl-click on that. The WAB will then expand for the entire Timeline. If you do not zoom to the full Timeline, that will just extend to the area that you are viewing.

It works the same way, in PrPro. The auto-extend function works, until the user adjusts it the first time.

There are no restrictions on manually adjusting the WAB, it is JUST that auto-extend function that goes away.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For part two - the Copy/Paste, you will need to add a Clipboard Extender utility, like ClipMate to your system. That will then allow you to Copy (or Cut) and Paste to separate Projects.

One workaround is to do a Save_As with your entire Timeline, maybe calling it "master," and then, Select and Delete half of the Clips, probably with Ripple Delete to close up any gap. Then, do a Save_As for that edited Timeline, maybe adding "first-half" to the name. Do NOT do a Save, as it will overwrite your "master." Then, go back to the "master," and Delete the other half, followed by a Save_As, say adding "second-half" to that Project's name. That will still retain you "master," should you need to go back to it, and result in two more Projects (first-half and second-half) with the Clips "split" as you desire.

Still, ClipMate, or similar, will let you Select, Copy & Paste.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
                LNPato Level 1

Thank you very much!

• 5. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
                  davidorthfurniture Level 1

I had this same question about cutting and pasting as well.  Thanks for the work around idea of "saving as" that should work for saving pieces or cutting down things.  But I guess it doesn't work for bringing something into an existing project from another project.  So I have two questions.

1. I've downloaded ClipMate and have tried it.  And I would like to hear details from anyone who has succeeded in making ClipMate work with Premiere Elements.  My ClipMate doesn't seem to recognize anything I've copied in PrE.  PrE doesn't show up in the ClipMate "application profile".  I'd appreciate any details from someone who has worked out this use of ClipMate.

2. Here's a less appealing work around question. Could you render a project (especially the section of a project you would like to cut and paste) in a file type that could then be imported as media?  Of course, you couldn't import the settings except as rendered.  Also, is there a way to render just a section of a project?

• 6. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
                    nealeh Level 5

Take a look here - copy with ClipMate 7.3. Reply #10 gives a step by step. I've used it and it DOES work.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
                      nealeh Level 5

davidorthfurniture wrote:

2. Here's a less appealing work around question. Could you render a project (especially the section of a project you would like to cut and paste) in a file type that could then be imported as media?  Of course, you couldn't import the settings except as rendered.

Yes. Share it in one of PRE's native formats (e.g. DV, HDV, AVCHD) and it will load perfectly into new projects without the need to render again (unless you are mixing formats in one project). There is an entry describing the process in full in the FAQ's.

davidorthfurniture wrote:

Also, is there a way to render just a section of a project?

Yes adjust the start/end points of the Work Area Bar (quickest way is to go to the end of the section you want and press [Alt]+ ] then go the the beginning and press [Alt]+ [

In the Share dialog ensure you tick the checkbox 'Share WorkAreaBar Only'.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: 2 questions: work area, and copy/paste clips
                        davidorthfurniture Level 1

Neale, triple thanks!  All your answers are greatly appreciated.  The ClipMate proceedure at the link works - imports a clip from another project with all my pan and zoom settings!

David Orth

www.OrthFurniture.com