2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 2:28 PM by BobLevine

getting 5.5 IDML into 5.0

hotwheels222 Level 1

i have a colleague that is asking how to get my IDML export into his 5.0 ID. i had the same issue with another colleague that was on 4.0 and someone was kind enough to help me out on this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4442125#4442125

i am not really sure whether /they/ just downloaded the 5.5 30 day demo or not but for /this/ colleague are there instructions somewhere that we all can follow moving forward for this kind of issue?!

i mean, since i paid for this software it is a real major problem to be constantly trying to troubleshoot and explain this when on a deadline...

the deal is he should be able to import IDML, edit it, and then give it back to me with NO format or other problems? or is it that someone in their wisdom has spent enough time on this (or not) so that my colleague would have to download 5.5 so that i can make sure i don't miss a deadline proofing and fixing something that was OK when it was saved/exported on their end??

can any of the pros put this fire to bed (to mix my metaphors) please?

TIA

• 1. Re: getting 5.5 IDML into 5.0
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's nothing special required here. If you properly exported the .idml file all that your colleague needs to do is File > Open.. and navigate to it. As long as there are no linked pages from another later version file it should open in any version of ID from CS4 onward.

• 2. Re: getting 5.5 IDML into 5.0
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

the deal is he should be able to import IDML, edit it, and then give it back to me with NO format or other problems?

Sorry, but if you think IDML round trip workflows are going to be trouble free, I have bridge for sale.

Yeah, I know that sounds snarky but it's the truth. For collaborative workflows everyone should be on the same version of InDesign or everyone should be prepared for headaches.

Bob