3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 7:05 AM by caseyctg

inserting blank page for ads according to datamerged field.checking for whether a variable exists on

caseyctg Level 1

Let me see if I can explain what I am trying to do. I have a script which loops through pages of an indesign document. I use a for loop to do so.

Within each page is a text frame called "Advertising" with a Y or N as the value. If the value is Y, I want to insert a blank page before the page with the advertising field. Within the for loop however, there are calls to other data fields. My issue is that when I add a blank page, and the for loop continues, it errs out because the blank page does not contain the variable fields I am using. (highlights)...

So my question is, how can I cause the for loop to skip the newly inserted page so that the missing variable doesn't cause the script to fail?

should I be checking whether the layer exists then doing something like:

if(newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("CompanyHighlights").length > 0){}

for(var i = o; i < PageLength-1; i++){

//some kind of check to determine whether it's a blank page, or a page with the variable.

if(newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("CompanyHighlights").length > 0){

var highlights= newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("CompanyHighlights").contents;

var advertising = newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("Advertising").contents;

if(advertising == "Y")

{

//add blank page before this page

}

}

}

• 1. Re: inserting blank page for ads according to datamerged field.checking for whether a variable exists on
          caseyctg Level 1

One way I was considering was when placing the page, I would apply a master page.

I would then check against that master page, C-Master, and if it is the C-Master page, have the code bypass the sections that call to the variable.

for(var i = o; i < PageLength-1; i++){

//HOW DO I CHECK WHAT THE MASTER PAGE IS?

var masterpage = //need to determine the master page of newDoc.pages.item(i)

if(masterpage  != "C-Master"){

var highlights= newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("CompanyHighlights").contents;

var advertising = newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("Advertising").contents;

if(advertising == "Y")

{

//add blank page before this page

//Apply C-Master as master page.

}

}else{alert("This page is an advertisement page")}

}

Can someone explain how I would detect the master page? is it

var masterpage = newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster;

???

• 2. Re: inserting blank page for ads according to datamerged field.checking for whether a variable exists on
            -hans- Level 4

hi,

try the loop backwards ...

var myPages = app.activeDocument.pages;

for(var i = myPages.length -1; i >= 0; i--){

app.activeDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.BEFORE, myPages[i]);

}

• 3. Re: inserting blank page for ads according to datamerged field.checking for whether a variable exists on
              caseyctg Level 1

Thanks Hans, I actually got it working last night: I had to run a double if statement to check the Master page and move the counter var to a global var, and then add 1 to the counter "i" since I was adding a page, and add 1 to the PageLength so the for loop can continue on the pages that were moved ahead a page number by adding a page...not the best solution, but it works and I'm on a deadline. Thank you for trying to help though.

//make i a global variable

var i = 0;

for(i = 0; i < PageLength-1; i++){

//define master page of current page in the loop

var masterpage = newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster.name;

//if its C-Master, skip it

if(masterpage  != "C-Master"){

//if it contains the merged Advertising field add a page

var advertising = newDoc.pages.item(i).textFrames.item("Advertising").contents;

if(advertising == "Y")

{

//Add a page.

newDoc.pages.add(LocationOptions.before, newDoc.pages.item(i) );

newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster =app.activeDocument.masterSpreads.item("C-Master");

i=i+1;

PageLength = PageLength+1;

}

var masterpageAgain = newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster.name;

if(masterpageAgain  != "C-Master"){

var highlights=newDoc.pages.item(i).textFrames.item("CompanyHighlights").contents;

}

}

}