11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 8:09 AM by BerryFence

CS3 tools wacky...

BerryFence

All my tools in Photoshop CS3 look and act like they are the eraser. I have reinstalled the program, reset all tools and prefences. Anybody? Helllllpppppp!

• 1. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
          Curt Y Level 7

This does not make any sense.  When you pick a tool, like a clone tool, it erases? 

• 2. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
            BerryFence Level 1

Yes. All the tools except slice! I agree, it makes no sense at all...

• 3. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you quit / restarted Photoshop?

Have you rebooted?

Based on the lack of responses here, it's obviously not a problem a lot of people experience.

If the issue persists across restarts, then you should clear your Photoshop preferences to defaults.  You do this by pressing and holding Control - Shift - Alt (or Command - Shift - Option) immediately after cold-starting Photoshop.  If you get the keys down in time - and you have to be very quick - it will prompt you to delete your current settings.  If it just comes up you haven't gotten the keys down quickly enough.

-Noel

• 4. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                Noel Carboni Level 8

There's also one other possibility...  Did the problem occur coincident with installation of a new plug-in you didn't have before?  If so, try removing that.

-Noel

• 5. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Based on the lack of responses here, it's obviously not a problem a lot of people experience.

I completely agree. In all of my years on the PS forum, I have never read of such.

Since Tool Options have been reset, I would definitely move to PS Preferences, and reset those, as well.

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                    BerryFence Level 1

Thank you all for your generous suggestions and sharing of experience.

Turns out that a mouse driver I installed was the problem.How weird is

that? I wouldn't think that a driver would affect program software so

profoundly, but there you have it. The suggestion to look at things I

had added recently steered me in that direction, and the minute I

deleted it, the problem was fixed. Wahoo!!!

• 7. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                      BerryFence Level 1

Yes, had tried reboot and also quitting Photoship and restarting. Had

also cleared all the preferences to defaults. It was a mouse driver. Weird.

• 8. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                        BerryFence Level 1

This was the suggestion that sent me in the direction of the mouse

driver that I had just installed. Thank you. Saved my bacon. I was at

wits end.

• 9. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Glad you found it!  First I've ever heard of a mouse driver screwing up such things, but these ARE computers after all, and we all know "To err is human, to really screw things up takes a computer.

-Noel

• 10. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting.

Going back a bit now, there WERE some InteliPoint drivers, that did not play nice with many Adobe programs, but most of those issues were things like flickering GUI.

Thanks for reporting on the cause. I assume that either a newer, or a roll-back to an older mouse driver fixed things for you.

To help others, over time, which mouse and driver was causing your particular problems?

Good luck, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 11. Re: CS3 tools wacky...
                              BerryFence Level 1

It was a little driver called MouseWare, and I'm using a Logitech

Cordless Optical...at one point the cursor was taking off for the top of

the screen for no apparent reason, hence trying out a new driver..I

uninstalled it, and the cursor seems to be fine now too, even tho the

new driver fixed the cursor problem. So random, so frustrating, but when

all is well, I love my computer! Thanks for all your kind help and

suggestions.