4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2014 1:05 AM by fizzedout

Why can't I "Share Layer To All Pages"?

bradmagnus Level 1

I'm relatively new to Fireworks, but I'm getting pretty comfortable with it. I've got a layout with a master page, home page, and contact page. When I right click any layers, the option to share that layer to pages is grayed out? Why?

The home page has 2 states, but the contact page only has one.

You can find the file here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56377518/creative-license-08.fw.png

This is really driving me crazy as I don't want to be copy and pasting between the 8 pages I'll be building when I know this feature exists. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Why can't I "Share Layer To All Pages"?
          bradmagnus Level 1

I just figured it out. I don't know why, but you can't share sub-layers to pages or states. I'm a bit of an organization freek, and I build out all of the pages content inside a layer (what I think of as a folder) names "layout". When I accidentally right clicked that layer, the options to share were available. I guess I won't be nesting folders like that anymore.

• 2. Re: Why can't I "Share Layer To All Pages"?
            fizzedout Level 1

Hello Brad,

I am having the same issues.  I'm using Fireworks in CS4.  I've looked at layers and sublayers and still cannot get 'Share layer to all pages' options to appear solid and not greyed out.  I don't completely understand your resolution.  When I've taken single assets out and placed them in their own layer - I get no change.

I've been using an online training programme, and in that this issue of sub-layers (not for CS4 anyway), is a none issue and the 'Share layer to all pages' should be available for those too.

Any thoughts for me?

Thanks in advance.

Blanche

help2.jpg

• 3. Re: Why can't I "Share Layer To All Pages"?
              bradmagnus Level 1

Hi Blance,

Sorry I've got nothing on that... I stopped using Fireworks when Adobe didn't take it to Creative Cloud. As a former Flash designer, I can't afford to invest time in another piece of outdated software I haven't used Fw in at least a year... Your best bet is to try starting a new topic and see if you can get help.

• 4. Re: Why can't I "Share Layer To All Pages"?
                fizzedout Level 1

Thanks Brad,

I actually restarted file, and created a new one, as I found that some Layers, created the from duplicate page action were perminantly locked, ie I couldn't unlock them!!.  The new file made the option available, so I imagine that the original file was corrupted in some way. [I'm behind the times with the new cloud operation.]

Ta for getting back.

Best wishes with your projects.

Blanche